Ammonia test kit

Username177013

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, at the moment my two ammonia tests kit are stressing me out. In the picture below my test kits are reading different outcomes. One brand is Fluval aquatics and the other is API ammonia test kit

20210430_083113.jpg

OP
OP
U

Username177013

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add that one of my clownfish just died and I don't know when this happened. All my parameters are good. I expected ammonia to rise after a dead fish but I might be mistaken.

OP
OP
U

Username177013

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you just starting to cycle your tank? Are fish gasping at the surface? Is every single invert in your tank dead?
I already cycled my tank. My fish is not gasping for air or going up to the surface. I've had my two clownfish for about a week. (One died because he was stressed out and the other may have bullied him)

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Misreads on API are so common but usually in the positive direction. Do a water change if fish look stressed but other than that its a momentary spike that kill be processed within a few hours.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your nitrite at? Curious to see if your tank is processing ammonia. Might shed some light?

OP
OP
U

Username177013

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Misreads on API are so common but usually in the positive direction. Do a water change if fish look stressed but other than that its a momentary spike that kill be processed within a few hours.
Could you explain the the stressed habits that I need to see in my fish? At the moment my clown is at the bottom corner of the tank. His mouth isn't opening and closing aggressively. He tends to swim in front of my wave pump.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you explain the the stressed habits that I need to see in my fish? At the moment my clown is at the bottom corner of the tank. His mouth isn't opening and closing aggressively. He tends to swim in front of my wave pump.
Ammonia effects the gills and makes it harder for the fish to breath. Early on you will see rapid breathing (count for 15 seconds and X by 4) and followed by red gills. The swimming toward a pump sounds like a symptom of velvet which could account for fish death.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know if the API or the fluval one is "better". Could you give me some test kits brands that are 100% reliable.
Red sea is what I have used but honestly I haven't checked for ammonia in a while. Ammonia tests are never 100% reliable, its a guessing game. I wouldn't react to your readings unless I saw a fish response to ammonia.

OP
OP
U

Username177013

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Salifert for all of my parameters.
I'll be sure to buy Salifert test kit tomorrow then. I find it a bit odd that after my fish died there was no spike in ammonia. My parameters
Ammonia:0 or 2.4 since I don't know which one is the "correct" one.
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
Salinity:1.026
Temp: 79 F

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just starting myself but I like the Seachem badge for quick reference. I've heard people say the badges are worthless but I also have the Salifert kits and the ammonia one seems to agree with the badge. Just my 2 cents.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back