Ammonia test?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I did have a stand but changed my mind so I’ve already had to empty it once to remove it.

Wouldn’t algae be a real issue if I keep adding ammonia for the next month with no water changes?
Go dark...cover it in paper (that's something else I did, worked great). I used that brown packaging paper. Those bacteria don't need any light.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go dark...cover it in paper (that's something else I did, worked great). I used that brown packaging paper. Those bacteria don't need any light.

Didn’t think of that, going to make myself sound stupid now but I didn’t fully get the connection between algae and light, I knew having the lights on doesn’t help, but didn’t realise a total blackout would totally prevent algae.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add that I have now tested my ammonia fluid/ammonia test and they are working fine(ish)I used a half gallon of rodi water, added 4 drops of ammonia and got a reading, which to be fair was still reading on the low side as that is twice the amount of ammonia for a 2ppm level, but was only around the 1.5ppm, I guess my tank ammonia reading was low and the fact that the salifert test is not the best to be able to read at low levels wasn’t helping my confusion. I was thinking my ammonia was not the correct strength as I had bought it from eBay had me wondering or that my test kit was faulty.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you ready to just begin, your system is ready.

Change your water out, add some clean up crew members and a cheap starter coral. The way to feed the new system is very lightly, just before doing a water change each week as normal maintenance. You can start, it would be neat to see your tank pics with some stuff in it

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you ready to just begin, your system is ready.

Change your water out, add some clean up crew members and a cheap starter coral. The way to feed the new system is very lightly, just before doing a water change each week as normal maintenance. You can start, it would be neat to see your tank pics with some stuff in it

What do you mean by feeding the system each week before a water change?

I’m waiting for my stand to be delivered, it’s ordered but as it’s custom made it’s going to be 2 weeks yet, I did have a stand but soon realised it wasn’t practical as it was open so no where to hide all the wires etc.
Can’t wait to add fish and corals though, least the tank will be that more cycled time they are added.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That method of feeding for an early system simply prevents waste buildup and algae fuel for new lightly stocked systems since it times feeding with export

Be sure and read fish disease forum to select a fish disease prevention method before you begin. Most of the posts you can see are from those who selected none

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That method of feeding for an early system simply prevents waste buildup and algae fuel for new lightly stocked systems since it times feeding with export

Be sure and read fish disease forum to select a fish disease prevention method before you begin. Most of the posts you can see are from those who selected none

But I need to feed daily, water changes will only be weekly? So not sure what you mean by feed lightly before water changes?

Yeah I need to read up on disease prevention, thanks for the nudge in that direction, I was hoping as I plan on having only 3 fish it didn’t apply to me, wishful thinking I know.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have not much idea on the amount to feed, read a lot of advice, feed enough for the fish to eat for anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats part of the research on each fish/consumption rates you'll find it by checking out similar tank threads in research, amounts they eat ranges fish to fish. good job on the disease prevention planning part.

above my weekly feeding is because I recommended a clean up crew only, early fish will give you nearly instant algae challenges, so I didnt recommend them. once you do use fish, then they'll require feed in excess of my mention. my mention was just that your tank is ready to start, and being new to it all, fish should wait and clean up crews should be first go.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats part of the research on each fish/consumption rates you'll find it by checking out similar tank threads in research, amounts they eat ranges fish to fish. good job on the disease prevention planning part.

above my weekly feeding is because I recommended a clean up crew only, early fish will give you nearly instant algae challenges, so I didnt recommend them. once you do use fish, then they'll require feed in excess of my mention. my mention was just that your tank is ready to start, and being new to it all, fish should wait and clean up crews should be first go.

Thanks for clarifying that for me, think I will go that route, slow and steady.

Should be ready for a small cuc in 2 weeks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back