Amphipod living in my Galaxea

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently added a frag of galaxea to my tank and noticed today a small hole between the flesh and the skeleton of the galaxea that appears to be hosting an amphipod.

I know there are claims that certain amphipods could eat coral. These amphipods are all from IPSF, and have ballooned in population quite a bit as my tank is fishless.

I am assuming the amphipod was not capable of creating this hole and that it already existed, and it was merely going in to scavenge, but I’m not certain. Does this seem to be a major cause for concern? Has anyone else experienced such a thing?

Pictures were after lights out with a flashflight to show the hole I am talking about.

Frag is otherwise healthy & growing since I’ve added it to the tank, with new polyps continuing to emerge. This hole is located on the cut side of the frag.

IMG_7832.jpeg IMG_7831.jpeg

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, nothing to be concerned with. Are you sure you didn’t see a gall crab? They make a hole like that in coral.

OP
OP
Nick711

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply - I did see at least one amphipod, as it came out before retreating back into the hole, however, I guess that’s a possibility. I’m not aware of having any gall crabs in my system and have dipped everything before adding to tank.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 29 36.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back