An Educational Display Tank in a High School: Reef, Brackish, and Fresh Oh My!

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That might have been the one I saw too! I'm hoping that eventually we can have 4 or 5 mudskippers and a figure 8 puffer.
Tazawa Tanks on YouTube has a few videos on mudskippers. He keeps mainly freshwater but has a couple brackish tanks with mudskippers and puffers, you should check him out for more info. They are definitely cool fish and on my list to keep one day.

OP
OP
PistachioSkyBird

PistachioSkyBird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tazawa Tanks on YouTube has a few videos on mudskippers. He keeps mainly freshwater but has a couple brackish tanks with mudskippers and puffers, you should check him out for more info. They are definitely cool fish and on my list to keep one day.
He does have some great mudskipper videos!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it has taken so long for an update but I was out of the country and then a whole bunch happened all at once!
Spoiler alert the stands are here and the tanks are on the stands and I am working on getting them functional in between teaching and grading!
Here are some pictures of what we have done so far!
PXL_20230809_193629208.jpg

Here are the tanks in front of the custom stands.
PXL_20230814_212352361.jpg

Here are the backs getting painted.
PXL_20230815_220005449.jpg

Final coat on the large tanks and we got the small one up on the stand. I started to aqua scape it while I waited for the paint to dry.
PXL_20230815_220019903.jpg

The small tank. It was such a relief when we were able to get one of the tanks up and it fit perfectly!
PXL_20230817_185902261.jpg

A while later I was able to get most of the faculty to help put the large tanks up after some beginning of the year teachers meetings. Seeing them all up on the stands was a little weird for me because it looked so much like the 3D rendering that I had be working with for almost a year!
PXL_20230817_234803752.jpg

Next I added some aqua scaping to the the freshwater tank and some sand to the brackish water tank. I had to keep the aqua scape fairly simple because the pacu will have to go back in this tank.
PXL_20230817_234815650.jpg

I filled up the small tank.
PXL_20230819_222320355.jpg

And added the old fish in. I felt fairy comfortable doing this because the filter was moving with them. Unfortunately, the move stressed them out and caused some of them to die from a bacterial infection.
PXL_20230817_234958868.jpg

We then tried to move the rock for the saltwater tank... (it didn't go well)
PXL_20230818_213550524.jpg

When we moved it to the tank most of the aqua scape fell apart. I think I may have made the pieces to big or not used enough mortar. What ever caused it, it ended up looking nice when we were finished. This aqua scape will give more room for coral growth too. It was still one of the worst feelings to pick up the rock structures that the students helped me build only to have them fall apart in my hands.
PXL_20230821_215649178.jpg

I also filled the large freshwater tank to get it starting to cycle. You may notice that there is some water in the saltwater tank as well. This is the water that I had from running our RODI over the summer. I could have had more but I only had 2 brute trash cans to store the water in.

PXL_20230830_215348078.jpg

Adding more water!
PXL_20230905_203852025.jpg

Here is where it stands as of now. I know that I shouldn't leave the lights on but I wanted to test them out and make sure they were working. You may also notice that the water level is still pretty low. We have been having issues getting the right size bulk heads to plumb the overflow. I think we finally are on the right track though and only need one more that should be in next week. I am going to start plumbing a bean animal in the overflow while we wait for the last piece and see if I can get things setup for the returns as well. The sump is currently sitting in my classroom waiting to come out to the tanks. The filter for the freshwater tank is currently sitting on top of it. That will have to be a whole other post!
For right now the saltwater tank is sitting there with two gyre pumps to keep the water flowing. I have also been adding so Microbactor 7 and some fish food to get the bacteria going while we are waiting.
Incredible seeing all the tanks lined up like that!

OP
OP
PistachioSkyBird

PistachioSkyBird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update: The missing plumbing piece is supposed to be here tomorrow! This means that we can start working on plumbing the sump soon! In preparation for it I had some of my students help me move the 75 gallon tank down to its place under the big one. Here is a picture of it with the moonlight setting on the lights.
PXL_20230907_222317802.jpg

I still need to put some dividers in the sump and and obvious still need to plumb it but we are getting closer to a functioning tank! We have some parents touring the school tonight so I went ahead and added the spare rocks to the sump so it will look a little nicer.

We are starting with filter socks in the sump but I am planning on changing the design of the sump as we can add more parts to it. Have any of you used one of the roller mats? How do you like them?

OP
OP
PistachioSkyBird

PistachioSkyBird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20230911_213102026.jpg

The plumbing for the overflow and sump is finished! You can see the 10 gallon tank that will be for the ATO reservoir to the side of the sump. We are going to lift it up off the floor but we don't have the what we need for the shelf yet. Now to just keep adding water!
PXL_20230911_213115616.jpg
Here is a picture of the back of the tank. You can kind of see the bean animal in the overflow box. The pipe closest to the camera is the emergency overflow.
PXL_20230911_213122586.jpg

Here is the side view of the sump and the ATO reservoir. You can see the FX-6 on the fresh water tank in the background.

OP
OP
PistachioSkyBird

PistachioSkyBird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, I am planning on setting up a refugium in the sump of this tank can I put any macro algae in the fuge?

I was looking at macro algae and thought it might look cool to have some of the rooted types of macro algae growing on the rocks in the sump. The sump will be clearly visible so it would be nice if it looks nice as well as being functional.

OP
OP
PistachioSkyBird

PistachioSkyBird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20230920_235706713.jpg

The tank is running! We had a few problems with leaks but they are fixed now. The pump, overflow, heater, and ATO are all installed and working. I just did the first tests on the water and the levels are pretty good for a tank that was just set up.

pH - 8.2
kH - 5,25
Ammonia - 0.2
Nitrite - .05
Nitrate - 2
salt - 34 PPT

The levels were measured with a RedSea kit and a refractometer.

OP
OP
PistachioSkyBird

PistachioSkyBird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20230922_212831336.jpg

Not a super exciting update but I did some work on temporary cord management. Sadly, everything but the ato controller fell off the wall after about 30 minutes. I thought the sticky Velcro would stick, but textured walls seem to prevent almost every from sticking... at least the cords aren't tangled.

PXL_20230922_212931590.jpg

Also my Tunze ATO keeps filling past the sensor. It is brand new and I am not adding any calcium to the tank because there is nothing in there yet. From what I've read that seems to be the most common problem. The first time I plugged it in it didn't stop filling until it reached the emergency shut off... I the let it sit until the water level was back below the sensor. After this it was working fine for about 24 hours and then all the sudden it just kept filling. It filled this far before I unplugged it. Lucky I was working on the cord management when it decided to stop working. I had just filled the reservoir for the weekend.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back