An Interesting Take on Dinos

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy has a lot of really interesting points. You don't necessarily have to agree, but if you've been suffering from dinos (etc.) over and over this might be worth checking out. Skip to the 4:45 mark for the dino-specific section.

MexiReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have battled dinos and cyano for a long time. The last ourbreak was in sept 2021, and at that time I just accepted my faith and decided to live with them. I stopped doing anything to fight them. I continued as if they were not there. Simple alk, Ca and Mg dosing, disciplined feeding and regular minimum water changes. In march 2022, they began receding, in just 4 more weeks they are completly gone.

I belive that the sept outbreak came from amino dosing.

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a nasty dino outbreak that after several months I finally beat. If I were to do it all over again I would have done nothing other than add a UV and do regular maintenance. I really regret putting all kinds of "magic in a bottle" in my tank.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this cautionary video.
It's hard to evaluate our ideas about dinos and nuisance algae, because people generally have one display tank. So there's rarely ever a control to pair with the experiment.
Seeing how people often implement the ideas about nutrients and dinos in ways that can be more harm than help, I agree that the more conservative approaches are the better ones in terms of likelihood of long-term positive outcomes.
On the other hand, when somebody posts pictures of ostreopsis dinos attaching directly to live sps coral frags, the pictures of that frag in the next 48-72 hours will show tissue loss and death. A zen approach doesn't really address the issue. So get UV like he says, keep the dinos off the coral colonies - those things are kinda urgent. And everything else can be done with patience.

Also many people find the elegant corals method to be helpful, and it's as opposite as you can get to this. Slam the system for a few days with massive carbon dose and bottled bacteria (which might or might not participate in the bloom). It overwhelms surfaces with heterotroph bacteria, displaces dinos and cyano, depletes nutrients rapidly etc.

Back