An unknown Stress

Mcole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a breeders system that I have tried to breed fish in for the past couple of years. In the system I have four fish, two paired Clarkiis one unpaired Ocellaris and one unpaired Darwin. I had a large water change a few days, about 70-90%. Ever since my clarkiis and my Ocellaris have been incredibly stressed. My Ocellaris has been swimming vertical, on of my clarkiis has been fully laying on the ground until I get near. (he wants food) I have taken water quality checks 4 times in the past day. All of them say 7-8 ppm ph, 0.0 ppm ammonia, 0.0 ppm Nitrite, and 20-40 ppm Nitrate (a bit high but fine). I have had a broken light for the system and have been trying to replace it this week. I need to know if anything else can cause this. (I used chlorine cleaner when I did the water change)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance a household cleaner or bug spray contaminated your water change vat?

OP
OP
Mcole

Mcole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is .21 temp is 76-78, I do not know how to check oxygen.

OP
OP
Mcole

Mcole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No chemicals were near the water change, those are kept far from my tanks

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a breeders system that I have tried to breed fish in for the past couple of years. In the system I have four fish, two paired Clarkiis one unpaired Ocellaris and one unpaired Darwin. I had a large water change a few days, about 70-90%. Ever since my clarkiis and my Ocellaris have been incredibly stressed. My Ocellaris has been swimming vertical, on of my clarkiis has been fully laying on the ground until I get near. (he wants food) I have taken water quality checks 4 times in the past day. All of them say 7-8 ppm ph, 0.0 ppm ammonia, 0.0 ppm Nitrite, and 20-40 ppm Nitrate (a bit high but fine). I have had a broken light for the system and have been trying to replace it this week. I need to know if anything else can cause this. (I used chlorine cleaner when I did the water change)
How long did you mix the salt. What were the parameters before you did the 90% water change. It’s probably the some parameter changed with the water change

OP
OP
Mcole

Mcole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water was Murky, the ammonia was up more then usual. I mixed the salt for about 3-5 minutes, which is what I have always done.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The water was Murky, the ammonia was up more then usual. I mixed the salt for about 3-5 minutes, which is what I have always done.

OK:).. I used to do that as well - but now mix salt several hours if not overnight to make sure all is completely mixed. The particular brand of salt I use actually recommends this - rather than using it immediately.

OP
OP
Mcole

Mcole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you stir it a little bit every hour, or do you stir it up and let it sit for a bit? Thanks.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water was Murky, the ammonia was up more then usual.

Do you usually have measurable ammonia? This statement makes me wonder if your fish are suffering from ammonia toxicity, even though you stated that your levels were 0.0 after the water change. I don't know what the long term effects are. The fish laying on the bottom sounds suspicious for ammonia, I don't know about the vertically swimming fish.

Anyone with more knowledge than me...

OP
OP
Mcole

Mcole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks MnFish1, normally I don't, but I had not properly cleaned my tanks before the water change.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mix your water for at least a few hours. You do this by putting your water in a container with a powerhead to mix it.

Second, your ammonia levels should be undetectable with our available testing methods at all time -- There will always be trace amounts, but if you can get readings on a test, you have WAY more than the allowed maximum.

Third, what kind of skimmer are you using? You shouldn't have murky water. If you do, your skimmer isn't doing it's job, or you don't have one. Skimmers are essential for a myriad of reasons.

OP
OP
Mcole

Mcole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, they stopped looking so stressed, water is clear and my Clarkiis laid their first batch.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back