Analyzing a Bacterial Method for Dinoflagellates (and cyano?)

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much spot on i forgot to add i removed as much of the cyano and dino before i did the blackout. Worth a try if someone else struggles, i would say this is 99% eliminated from my main display and minimal growth in the sump

this is what it looked like after a few days

IMG_2658.jpg
I'm curious as to what live stock you had in the tank.

Do you have pictures of the dinos' and cyano's migration from the DT to the sump?

Amphidium tends to stay in place, as does Coolia...
Ostreopsis, are the swimmers...

scottrotton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious as to what live stock you had in the tank.

Do you have pictures of the dinos' and cyano's migration from the DT to the sump?

Amphidium tends to stay in place, as does Coolia...
Ostreopsis, are the swimmers...

This video covers livestock corals before the outbreak

Fish
YT
Clown Pair
FoxFace
Damsel
Yellow Coris
Lawnmower Blenny

This Video is form before addition of bacteria

This video shows the critters under microscope during the me adding bacteria

Included some pictures during and one after, the sump one you have seen in original message.

As you can see photography isn't my thing, i'm about to transfer to a new tank so hopefully it doesn't rear its head again.

IMG_2501.JPG IMG_2513.jpg IMG_2760.JPG IMG_2541.jpg

nick9one1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm struggling with an outbreak of Coolia Dinos, and plan to try this method.

I have both sump and air pump with a wooden air stone using outside air. Dr Tims waste away and ATM colony arriving this week.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm struggling with an outbreak of Coolia Dinos, and plan to try this method.

I have both sump and air pump with a wooden air stone using outside air. Dr Tims waste away and ATM colony arriving this week.
At this point, bubbling with fresh air and running a fresh air line to your skimmer will help keep CO2 as low normal and increase gas exchange efficiency in your system.

nick9one1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early days but its going well so far. I began by not stirring the sand for a few days to let the Dino's build up, syphoned what I could,aaàaa then a 2 day blackout + UV. (I'm battling coolia which is a sand-dwelling strain).
Day 0 of the elegance method I could only see a small patch that I failed to previously Syphon.
By the end of day 1 I could tell the water was fairly cloudy and there was a fairly strong, unusual smell.

I've got a couple of questions;
  1. Should I be running a filter sock?
  2. Should I be dosing nitrate and phosphate as I was before starting?
(I've stopped doing both)

IMG_20191213_104815.jpg IMG_20191213_104824.jpg

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early days but its going well so far. I began by not stirring the sand for a few days to let the Dino's build up, syphoned what I could,aaàaa then a 2 day blackout + UV. (I'm battling coolia which is a sand-dwelling strain).
Day 0 of the elegance method I could only see a small patch that I failed to previously Syphon.
By the end of day 1 I could tell the water was fairly cloudy and there was a fairly strong, unusual smell.

I've got a couple of questions;
  1. Should I be running a filter sock?
  2. Should I be dosing nitrate and phosphate as I was before starting?
(I've stopped doing both)

IMG_20191213_104815.jpg IMG_20191213_104824.jpg
No filter socks... don't worry about dosing no3 or po4 until after the regimen...

You can add finely crushed pellets to continue to feed the Waste Away bacteria. Typically 1 pellet per 2 gallons of water.

Kayvon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Startecd using this method a few days ago. The hair algae all vanished. I'm going to see out the week of this method to ensure the dinos get killed.

KiltedSaint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Popping in to say I started aeration yesterday in my 150G with an ostreopsis/cyano outbreak that I've been fighting for almost a year. From some of the pictures i've seen, mine isn't as bad as others and my tank is odd in that my No3 and Po4 are 25 and .05 respectively. I started dosing vibrant a few weeks ago to rid some bubble algae, which I think was helping to keep the dinos in check. After about 80% removal, the dinos bloomed. Excited to hopefully be done with them for good.

KiltedSaint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on my second run. After the first, the tank was 100% clear for about a week and I started seeing some on the glass and a return of a little cyano on the sandbed. I'm currently in Day 3 and didn't see as much of a pH drop as I did before, and not nearly as much crud on to skim off the surface. All corals and fish look great and no visible cyano or dinos. NO3 is ~8 and phos is around 0.04.

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I would use hydrogen peroxide into the air intake of the skimmer... and yes, with the collection cup off (this is depending of nutrient level)
Thanks again for your help with this method. I’ve had to use this method a few times now and has worked pretty good for osteoporosis. I want to incorporate a rip clean and a live sand order from Hawaii to this method. I’m wondering what order you would do things? I’m thinking of running this method first then rip clean and live sand. Or should I do the rip clean first then this method then live sand order?

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, Rip clean first. Then there will be less grunge around for the method to process, making it easier.
Would the bacteria in the live sand benefit from the large carbon dose and multiply?
Or would they get overwhelmed by other blooming bacteria and get overrun?
Don't know, I'd split the sand, add half before and half after because I don't know answer to that Q.
Just my best guesses.

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, Rip clean first. Then there will be less grunge around for the method to process, making it easier.
Would the bacteria in the live sand benefit from the large carbon dose and multiply?
Or would they get overwhelmed by other blooming bacteria and get overrun?
Don't know, I'd split the sand, add half before and half after because I don't know answer to that Q.
Just my best guesses.
I don’t have much grunge because I did a rip clean January 10th and have been cleaning the sand twice a week. I wasn’t able to get live sand from Hawaii at the time I did the rip clean because of freezing temperatures. I really thought Dino was gone before I did the rip clean. Dino did bloom at week three and I ran this method. The fish have been in DT for two weeks now and things are looking good but I want to try the rip clean again with some bacteria.
BA197E2C-8BB7-40FD-8D55-B374C79527F8.jpeg
748F30CF-FA5E-4B69-980E-5DE393707BCB.jpeg

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have much grunge because I did a rip clean January 10th and have been cleaning the sand twice a week. I wasn’t able to get live sand from Hawaii at the time I did the rip clean because of freezing temperatures. I really thought Dino was gone before I did the rip clean. Dino did bloom at week three and I ran this method. The fish have been in DT for two weeks now and things are looking good but I want to try the rip clean again with some bacteria.
BA197E2C-8BB7-40FD-8D55-B374C79527F8.jpeg
748F30CF-FA5E-4B69-980E-5DE393707BCB.jpeg
Not to derail but you can get live sand from Hawaii?

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha after your experimentation with this method, would you choose this over silicate doseing?
I think they could be used to compliment each other. This method is about consuming lots of nutrients driving nuisance growth. And Si is about supporting diatoms in competing for these nutrients.
But I consider this one more major, and Si a smaller, support measure. I'd do this first, and maybe follow up with Si addition.

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they could be used to compliment each other. This method is about consuming lots of nutrients driving nuisance growth. And Si is about supporting diatoms in competing for these nutrients.
But I consider this one more major, and Si a smaller, support measure. I'd do this first, and maybe follow up with Si addition.
So I did the rip clean and ran this bacteria bloom. I started dosing Si right after and I’m happy with what I see now. Just one day after I started Si I am seeing diatoms bloom. How long should I run the diatom bloom?
0778A1BD-5C66-407A-B4C8-AA7947A0AE93.jpeg
6588DDA8-22CC-47C5-8A8E-2B7A82BF56D0.jpeg
4E6F5357-DABF-4F12-B6C1-28694359957A.jpeg

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one day after I started Si I am seeing diatoms bloom. How long should I run the diatom bloom?
diatoms like other algae blooms, will probably plateau shortly. They are also good food for many things. snails, pods, etc. But a "light dusting" is plenty of food, so I would slow/halt Si dosing to keep it at a visible brown dusting.
(If you had a test kit, like hanna, I'd say aim for ~1ppm or so, if it doesn't cause brown dusting to grow out of control)

edolan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up to try this method out. I have read some people remove the skimmer cup but that is not mentioned in the writeup. I guess if phosphate and nitrate get too low I would remove cup to help keep enough nutrients in the tank to drive bacteria growth. Does anyone have more data on this?

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up to try this method out. I have read some people remove the skimmer cup but that is not mentioned in the writeup. I guess if phosphate and nitrate get too low I would remove cup to help keep enough nutrients in the tank to drive bacteria growth. Does anyone have more data on this?
Definitely remove skimmer cup. I have ran this method without a skimmer at all.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back