Analyzing a Bacterial Method for Dinoflagellates (and cyano?)

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. The steps in the elegant coral regiment specifically. Is there a more updated protocol?
There's a lot of steps listed in this method but at it's core, it basically boils down to slamming the system with a very big carbon dose. Under those conditions the heterotrophs that use the carbon dose make life very hard for the photosynthetic nuisances. @Reef and Dive has advised a number of people through this method.

Here's another approach at a similar mechanism, written up in article form by Beuchat
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/dinoflagelates-a-disruptive-treatment.873/

In some ways Zeovit systems were also playing a similar game - using carbon doses to run "ultra low nutrients" to control nuisance growth in that way.

The emphasis and the descriptions of the mechanisms have gone through different iterations over the years, but they all point to the idea that using carbon doses to favor heterotroph bacteria over nuisance photosynthetic growth is an effective mechanism for that purpose.
There are many other ways, but that seems to be one that works more often than not.

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a lot of steps listed in this method but at it's core, it basically boils down to slamming the system with a very big carbon dose. Under those conditions the heterotrophs that use the carbon dose make life very hard for the photosynthetic nuisances. @Reef and Dive has advised a number of people through this method.

Here's another approach at a similar mechanism, written up in article form by Beuchat

In some ways Zeovit systems were also playing a similar game - using carbon doses to run "ultra low nutrients" to control nuisance growth in that way.

The emphasis and the descriptions of the mechanisms have gone through different iterations over the years, but they all point to the idea that using carbon doses to favor heterotroph bacteria over nuisance photosynthetic growth is an effective mechanism for that purpose.
There are many other ways, but that seems to be one that works more often than not.
This is really interesting. Can you please answer a few questions?

Before I start carbon dosing how high do I need to raise the nitrate and phosphate levels from basically zero?

Once I start do I need to continue to dose nitrate and phosphate to maintain a level?

Can this method work in a biocube where I don't have a skimmer?

It seems like a bacterial bloom can suffocate livestock is the way to mitigate to dose after lights out and add airstones only?

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I start carbon dosing how high do I need to raise the nitrate and phosphate levels from basically zero?

Once I start do I need to continue to dose nitrate and phosphate to maintain a level?
One of the mechanisms by which this works is by having the bacterial bloom eat up the nutrients. In some systems this is part of why it works. (so don't add nutrients - counterproductive)

Can this method work in a biocube where I don't have a skimmer?
I'd never run this in a skimmerless system. Being able to remove some of the bacterial bloom by skimming is helpful, but the far bigger issue is how good skimmers are for aeration.

It seems like a bacterial bloom can suffocate livestock is the way to mitigate to dose after lights out and add airstones only?
dose after lights-out won't prevent low O2 - might make it worse, if the carbon dose is consumed at night dropping O2 while photosynthesis is inactive in the dark, then the O2 stress might be worse than if you did it at lights-on.

Airstones can help. They might make the no-skimmer issue less crucial.

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Exactly! This is a good approach for non-Ostreopsidaceae.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back