Analyzing a Bacterial Method for Dinoflagellates (and cyano?)

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about that too, and how to bring it in to this thread. It has many similarities and some important differences. (Black out, and Re-fresh instead of One and Only.)

More thoughts.

What was so special about the location that the cyanobacteria chose to grow there followed by the sponge-like network? Was the network already there when the cyanobacteria mat formed.

How do we know that the sponge-like network is the same organism that you dosed rather than something already in the aquarium that simply benefitted from the added bacteria?

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is amazing. This is not the usual “bacterial slime” photo. The nodes and nets might be interesting under the microscope. There seems to be a line nodules as well on the lower right. Is this some sort of complex mat?
No kidding. Pretty unusual!
It's colorless bacterial filaments.

And it's highly motile.

Cyanobacteria without the cyan (or any other pigment)

Seriously doubt that's what came in any bottle.
0a0d6e991608c6125c491e4684f04553.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And it's highly motile.

It appears to be composed of white filaments and a cottony substance, right?

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears to be composed of white filaments and a cottony substance, right?
I think it's just white filaments and fluffy debris particles. Some spots look cottony but I think they are dense white filaments.

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about that too, and how to bring it in to this thread. It has many similarities and some important differences. (Black out, and Re-fresh instead of One and Only.)
Cruz, the creator of the Elegant Corals method, has stated he was in direct contact with dr.tims and the method is similar for a reason.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And it's highly motile.

Have you considered this to be a fungi mat rather than bacterial mat? I don’t have anything to help you differentiate the two. The structure just seems too complex for bacteria.

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Giving this method a go! I’ll let you guys know if it’s successful. Battling ostreposis which was easy to maintain with a uv sterilizer but I also have amphidinium in the sand in which dosing silicates and diatoms haven’t been able to overcome the dinos. Seeing if this works before removing the sand.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giving this method a go! I’ll let you guys know if it’s successful. Battling ostreposis which was easy to maintain with a uv sterilizer but I also have amphidinium in the sand in which dosing silicates and diatoms haven’t been able to overcome the dinos. Seeing if this works before removing the sand.
I will be following up with your outcome. :)

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Did the full Treatment and followed all the instructions carefully. No trace of dinos anywhere. No loss in coral or fish either (sps and lps). I’m going to give the tank some rest and do the treatment a couple times to make sure I killed it all off. Also, I’m stirring up the sand really well to make sure it takes out anything that may be hiding in there as well. It sure seemed to have eradicated the dinos, but only time will tell if the dinos are able to come back. I will post back here if they do.

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That is great news. Do you know mind sharing the cost of the producs all together? It is priceless though to be rid of dinos.
I would probably say around $50. I had some of the stuff needed already, air pump/hydrogen peroxide. I don’t want to get too excited just yet but the tank looks good. Dosing round two in one more day!

Tjm23slo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I can only speculate is the air pump was not enough to keep up with the bacteria demand. -- However! -- When I added a 2nd air pump and placed both outside I noticed similar results in my PH. For instance, the PH would dip slightly below 7.5 at night with 1 pump inside AND with 2 pumps outside. Coincidence? I think not.

@AngryOwl i don’t think it’s air volume as much as using micro bubbles to maintain as much time in the water column as possible to hopefully dissolve. Placid water surface and pulverizing the bubbles from the wood stone.

Tjm23slo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably say around $50. I had some of the stuff needed already, air pump/hydrogen peroxide. I don’t want to get too excited just yet but the tank looks good. Dosing round two in one more day!
I suggest buying a large bottle of vodka. Celebration or drowned sorrows.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this method works to deter dinos, one possible mechanism, IMO, is making a trace metal limiting for the dinos. I think that mechanism is a possibility for all methods of Dino treatment that I am aware of (such as ensuring nutrients are not too low, allowing the growth of competitors).

In this case, both bacterial growth (via consumption of the trace element) and hydrogen peroxide addition (via oxidation of the trace element to a less soluble form, such as ferrous to ferric iron) can have that effect.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this method works to deter dinos, one possible mechanism, IMO, is making a trace metal limiting for the dinos. I think that mechanism is a possibility for all methods of Dino treatment that I am aware of (such as ensuring nutrients are not too low, allowing the growth of competitors).

In this case, both bacterial growth (via consumption of the trace element) and hydrogen peroxide addition (via oxidation of the trace element to a less soluble form, such as ferrous to ferric iron) can have that effect.

How important would iron (III) solubility be with so much organic matter around in an aquarium that could act as a chelator, or the siderophores produced by all the microorganisms in the aquarium?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How important would iron (III) solubility be with so much organic matter around in an aquarium that could act as a chelator, or the siderophores produced by all the microorganisms in the aquarium?
I am not sure, which is why I think it may be ok to dose ferrous sulfate as an iron supplement. I would note though that most commercial supplements use chelated forms. The answer may depend on the level you are trying to maintain.

Grossman90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I finished the regimen. Dinos are gone from what i can see but im doing a 2nd round just to play it safe. No snail, fish or zoa death. I highly recommend this regimen for fighting dinos. Make sure to buy what's on the list.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back