And khd off againnn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's been consistent at like 8.0 to 8.1. I decided to compare to Hanna which has been a long time .I tested Hanna 2 times back to back 8.6 and 8.5.

I tested khd and 8.1

I decided to test my sample water pump calibration which was set at 38. Came in at 36. I changed my settings and ran a test. 8.7. I was thinking. Well that's good enough. Ran another one. 8.8. Ran a 3rd. 8.7. I thought coool. I go to work. And it tests 9.0. Then next test 9.2. What the heck . I guess I gotta go calibrate all 3 pumps again to see if it solves it. I plan on running 3 calibrations of each via weighing the liquid in grams. And dividing by 3 to get average. And we'll go from there.

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at 8am this is my plan. replace rollers for sample and drain since they are starting to squeek again.. basically every month..
take 5 Calibrations for each dosing head by Weight with my gram calc. average each and set average to the dose calibrations of all 3.

then sample line.. instead of having GHL set it auto by length.. im going to fill sample lines fully then drain and measure by Weight ... and set it manually...

after this.. if its not good.. ill recal PH prob.

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's definitely causing by the doser. Have u replace the new cover for the doser. The old one create friction with the roller and cause it to change the speed therefore your test results is off.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you not use the calibration fluid to test the unit? I do this once every other month to make sure it not drifting then if it is off recalibrate the PH probe, and pumps.

Mine is .3 off my Hanna but spot on with reference solution. I believe if you use the reference solution it going to come in between 7.4 and 7.6 and nothing is wrong with your unit.

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my reference fluid just never used it yet. Lol. I guess now I will after I recalibate all 3 heads. I bought 8 roller/cap kits. I replace the rollers and cap and they will always squeek in 30 days. No matter what. So new caps don't do anything for my doser.
I haven't used my 7.5 fluid because I'm trying a way to use it. But not contaminate the jug. And best way to do it to get a real test. Do u empty fell flush then test or flush empty and test. With 7.5fluid

After about month. They squeek and rollers are black the reagent is quiet because it's so slow. Anything on fast (3). Will not last long

Never said my unit is bad.

Also directions for calibration says use shortest tubing as possible. To me, it seems the most accurate way to calibrate the sample draw line is calibrate it with the 8ft tubing and the filter on the end. Wouldn't that make more sense calibrating it the exact way it runs for most accurate?

Last edited:

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did was when I installed the unit I cut two lengths of tubing for the water intake. This allows me to not have to adjust any of the settings. The issue in doing this I use more solution then I need to but it becomes an exact duplication of what I am trying to do.

I have my stand alone though just pulled off the inlet and put a tube less then 12” long to my small reference container solution and adjust the settings for pump 1 and it works also.

What I do is first flush the container with new saltwater 3 times. Is this necessary? The answer is no but I like to make sure nothing is in any of the lines.

Then I pour into another container 100ml
Of solution (depends on your sample size and add 25 percent for safety) and then conduct the test. I do 3 test and divide by 3 as long as it between 7.4 and 7.6 I leave it alone. If it way off by the first 2 test I calibrate everything and try again.

So if I do three test my normal sample size on tank 1 is 75ml so I do 100ml in a container, do the test, get my next container put 100ml in it and repeat and then do it a third time.

I knows others do it different, this is just the way I do it :)

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did was when I installed the unit I cut two lengths of tubing for the water intake. This allows me to not have to adjust any of the settings. The issue in doing this I use more solution then I need to but it becomes an exact duplication of what I am trying to do.

I have my stand alone though just pulled off the inlet and put a tube less then 12” long to my small reference container solution and adjust the settings for pump 1 and it works also.

What I do is first flush the container with new saltwater 3 times. Is this necessary? The answer is no but I like to make sure nothing is in any of the lines.

Then I pour into another container 100ml
Of solution (depends on your sample size and add 25 percent for safety) and then conduct the test. I do 3 test and divide by 3 as long as it between 7.4 and 7.6 I leave it alone. If it way off by the first 2 test I calibrate everything and try again.

So if I do three test my normal sample size on tank 1 is 75ml so I do 100ml in a container, do the test, get my next container put 100ml in it and repeat and then do it a third time.

I knows others do it different, this is just the way I do it :)
Oh see I was gonna pull my sample line our of sump and have it draw from the solution. But the line is 8ft. So I'd waste ***** per test. So I'll have to use a temp tube for it without filter and change the volume in the gcc I guess

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't do pH probe yet. But. I did all recalibrating with new rollers and case

I did 5 tests for sample line. Average was 36.38
I did 5 tests reagent line. Average was 4.72
I did 6 tests of drain line. Average was 35.18

I drew water in sample line and the. Took filter out of sump and drained and it came out 36.3ish both times. So volume of sample only can be solid numbers so I made it 36. Standard math by GHL was 41ml
15973349795437174928430603793410.jpg

Gotta take a nap so can't do pH probe today but I made these settings based off the average sample I rounded up 36.4. And drain I rounded up to 35.2. and reagent I kept at 4.7

And of course volume of sample line I manually changed from 41 to 36

Last edited:

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then do not do a 8ft like just set a new sample line to your reference container and use that. That why I added the 25 percent extra :)

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto I worked 16 hours. Got home at 810am did all this calibrations. Gotta take a 2.5 hour nap before I wake up to go back to work. So the solution and probe will be tomorrow morning. But for now with these number changes I'm running one now. Will run one right after. And when I wake up at 11:50am. It will auto run the 3rd one. At that time I test Hanna and get an idea.

Hopefully I'm one step closer

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back