...and knowing is half the battle

MadHatter'sReef

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2016
Messages
39
Reaction score
43
Location
Maine
What state or country do you live in
Maine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets say you can go back and time... If you could tell yourself one thing before getting started in the hobby what would it be???
 
I would actually tell myself to chill out a bit and slow down, in the beginning I was very gung-ho about getting things going in my reef tank and I moved waaaaaayyyy too fast. My first tank crashed after a week after I tried to add a fish before the cycle established. Many of my other mistakes were centered around freaking out and trying to fix things or change things too quickly.
 
Quarantine everything. The cost of livestock quickly outpaces equipment in the vast majority of set ups.
 
Drill the tank! Don't do HOB overflow. I have another tank ready waiting to go that is drilled. Not that the hang on back overflow has ever done me any wrong, its actually never lost siphon on me or anything, it can just be so darn noisy. Plus that tube hanging over the rim..
 
Drill the tank! Don't do HOB overflow. I have another tank ready waiting to go that is drilled. Not that the hang on back overflow has ever done me any wrong, its actually never lost siphon on me or anything, it can just be so darn noisy. Plus that tube hanging over the rim..

I ruined the wood floor on one of my apartments because of a HOB overflow. It never completely cut out, but there were a few occasions where I walked in the door to the tank spilling over the edge. That cost a few hundred dollars that would have been better spent on just going with a drilled tank in the first place.
 
That’s a tuff one to answer. Back when I started there wasn’t any internet! Lol

Now me going back in time knowing what I know now........ well then....
 
I ruined the wood floor on one of my apartments because of a HOB overflow. It never completely cut out, but there were a few occasions where I walked in the door to the tank spilling over the edge. That cost a few hundred dollars that would have been better spent on just going with a drilled tank in the first place.
My biggest fear is coming home to my dining room being flooded. Fingers crossed and knock on wood in the two years I've had it, its never let me down, but I know my days are numbered. It's going to happen eventually :)
 
Agree with HOB overflow. After two floods, new tank got drilled.

Pick you corals carefully. I originally picked because someone said they were giving them away, or for very cheap. So ten years later I can't get ride of clove polyps, xenia, monti cap, and other corals that grow like weeds.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new