...and knowing is half the battle

MadHatter'sReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets say you can go back and time... If you could tell yourself one thing before getting started in the hobby what would it be???

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would actually tell myself to chill out a bit and slow down, in the beginning I was very gung-ho about getting things going in my reef tank and I moved waaaaaayyyy too fast. My first tank crashed after a week after I tried to add a fish before the cycle established. Many of my other mistakes were centered around freaking out and trying to fix things or change things too quickly.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drill the tank! Don't do HOB overflow. I have another tank ready waiting to go that is drilled. Not that the hang on back overflow has ever done me any wrong, its actually never lost siphon on me or anything, it can just be so darn noisy. Plus that tube hanging over the rim..

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drill the tank! Don't do HOB overflow. I have another tank ready waiting to go that is drilled. Not that the hang on back overflow has ever done me any wrong, its actually never lost siphon on me or anything, it can just be so darn noisy. Plus that tube hanging over the rim..

I ruined the wood floor on one of my apartments because of a HOB overflow. It never completely cut out, but there were a few occasions where I walked in the door to the tank spilling over the edge. That cost a few hundred dollars that would have been better spent on just going with a drilled tank in the first place.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a tuff one to answer. Back when I started there wasn’t any internet! Lol

Now me going back in time knowing what I know now........ well then....

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ruined the wood floor on one of my apartments because of a HOB overflow. It never completely cut out, but there were a few occasions where I walked in the door to the tank spilling over the edge. That cost a few hundred dollars that would have been better spent on just going with a drilled tank in the first place.
My biggest fear is coming home to my dining room being flooded. Fingers crossed and knock on wood in the two years I've had it, its never let me down, but I know my days are numbered. It's going to happen eventually :)

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with HOB overflow. After two floods, new tank got drilled.

Pick you corals carefully. I originally picked because someone said they were giving them away, or for very cheap. So ten years later I can't get ride of clove polyps, xenia, monti cap, and other corals that grow like weeds.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back