And this is why we QT

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I was always very skeptical to quarantine but i decited to start QT anyways. I had this fish for 4 days he was eating and not showing ANY singes of illness and on day 6 he broke out in velvet, if i did not quarantine he would have wiped out my entire DT. He ended up dying that night.
SEE VIDEO BELOW

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss.

Here's the question that those of us who don't quarantine would ask...

Would the fish have died if he'd not been stressed by having to live 4 days in a cramped, isolated, unnatural environment.

A fish's natural immune system can usually keep them from being overwhelmed by this sort of parasite... Unless, of course, the animal is under a great deal of stress.

I know, I'm way out of the 'accepted best practices' on this. I have zero interest in trying to convert anyone to my way of thinking. It's just my opinion... worth every penny you paid for it.

OP
OP
S

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss.

Would the fish have died if he'd not been stressed by having to live 4 days in a cramped, isolated, unnatural environment.

A fish's natural immune system can usually keep them from being overwhelmed by this sort of parasite... Unless, of course, the animal is under a great deal of stress.

I know, I'm way out of the 'accepted best practices' on this. I have zero interest in trying to convert anyone to my way of thinking. It's just my opinion... worth every penny you paid for it.
Do u qt ur fish?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u qt ur fish?
No. Used to run a QT system. Had far fewer survivals with than I was getting without, so I ditched the practice. Believe me, I'm well aware of the arguments for and against, and I'm very much aware that disease in collection and distribution systems these days is simply rampant.

I do freshwater dip. Also, I don't buy fishes online. Ever. Or buy fishes on a whim. I'm darned picky about what goes into my tank.

OP
OP
S

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Used to run a QT system. Had far fewer survivals with than I was getting without, so I ditched the practice. Believe me, I'm well aware of the arguments for and against, and I'm very much aware that disease in collection and distribution systems these days is simply rampant.

I do freshwater dip. Also, I don't buy fishes online. Ever. Or buy fishes on a whim. I'm darned picky about what goes into my tank.
This fish was SPOTTLESS , eating everything and very active. And still broke out in velvet

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss.

I also don’t care to debate QT or not QT anymore, done enough of that in another thread...

By default a fish that’s grabbed from its habitat, netted and bagged multiple times and shipped thousands of miles, often exposed to large temperature fluctuations, O2 depletion and ammonia buildup without food for days and then dropped in a wholesaler and/or LFS tank usually with other fish that aren’t glad to see it is under a great deal of stress. QT can only help it decompress without additional stress.

Some have stronger immunity but many perish on this journey, available survival statistics (not sure how accurate) are not good. Some fish die regardless of what we do but if a QT can save your existing fish by not introducing a pathogen to an established tank arguably it’s worth it.

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Even if no signs of sickness?
Yes... nothing goes into my display without a 15 day copper treatment, transfer to a sterile tank and start General cure ... 2 rounds. If I see any white or stringy poop then I also mix GC/focus with pellets for 14 days. I have way to much invested in my system. And I’m not putting all of my other fish at risk. I’ve had a few bacteria infections also appear during copper or from the start. I use furan 2 and kanaplex per the box instructions. Lost some fish to ich and did the 76 days empty tank... treated all fish in QT. I don’t want to go through that again. I see no down side to treating fish with copper power and General cure. I use a Hana copper checker and keep my copper in check

MT. Reefer

Mt.Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use CP which I believe is easier on the fish than copper but either way is better than no QT at all. The way I look at it, If your going to QT a new fish, you might as well treat it at the same time. No guarantee of course, but your fish may have survived the velvet attack.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 20l tanks setup & going in the rare case I find a healthy fish I "want" . I think GreyBeard & I agree on this.No ordering ,impulse buying fish. Only after seeing this fish & returning to check it out again. I have lost money having a store owner hold a fish for me. If I change my mind,the lfs keeps the cash.I do place a new fish in one of these 20's for "observation". I leave it alone ,feed it well & give it time to relax , get healthy & strong. I won't treat a fish unless I see reason to do so.

Last edited:

atlfishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing a fish at the store is false confidence. Eatting is important, but most stores run UV, keeping the disease at bay. It is only until a few days later without UV the disease shows up. Playing with fire if you don’t QT!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back