Andre’s Full blown 300Gallon SPS Reeftank up within a week ;-)

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, get the basics straight and more important stable!!!

I do not disagree with that. I will say ICP-Analysis makes me nervous, I will only use Triton going forward. I've had a few bad results from them and there are a few threads regardingly obviously bad or suspect reports. At 1/2 the price of Triton, it is appealing however.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not disagree with that. I will say ICP-Analysis makes me nervous, I will only use Triton going forward. I've had a few bad results from them and there are a few threads regardingly obviously bad or suspect reports. At 1/2 the price of Triton, it is appealing however.
0_F5_E7_BF7_77_C6_43_CF_85_A8_D3_B06_D88_F19_C.jpg

You get what you pay for ;-)
Triton definitely has the luxury of storage and data comparison.
I use this lab for a ball park overview where I'm at, mostly.

Also not to mention that in this report you will notice that all results are in ppm or mg/l.
The Triton test has some low range measurements in microgram/l.
I know a few people tried to adjust with the ICP-Analysis.com result to match the Triton recommendations without paying attention to the units of measure, resulting in terrible overdosing and livestock losses !!!

So careful with corrections or playarounds on color enhancement ;-)

morpheas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna throw my hat in here for whatever it's worth.

A little over six months ago, i collected simultaneously three water samples. I sent one to Triton, one to ICP-Analysis.com and one i used to do measurements with my hobby grade equipment. Attached is a comparison between the two services. If i recall correctly all measurements are included here in ppm (and converted when necessary). If there's enough interest i will dig back and confirm. I don't have the hobby grade results but i might be able to dig them up for reference.

As you can see, most results line up (within error margins) with an exception of a couple. I do have the phosphorus hobby results. The Hana ULR (which has been tested by BRS against expensive lab grade spectrometers) reported 10ppm, Triton came up with 6ppm and ICP-Analysis with 80ppm. I don't have a number for iron.

This shows me that I can rely a lot on the cheaper alternative but might have to be careful with a couple of readings (which might have improved since then).

Not sure if this helps others decide, it helped me for sure. View attachment results.pdf

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not disagree with that. I will say ICP-Analysis makes me nervous, I will only use Triton going forward. I've had a few bad results from them and there are a few threads regardingly obviously bad or suspect reports. At 1/2 the price of Triton, it is appealing however.[/QUO
I'm gonna throw my hat in here for whatever it's worth.

A little over six months ago, i collected simultaneously three water samples. I sent one to Triton, one to ICP-Analysis.com and one i used to do measurements with my hobby grade equipment. Attached is a comparison between the two services. If i recall correctly all measurements are included here in ppm (and converted when necessary). If there's enough interest i will dig back and confirm. I don't have the hobby grade results but i might be able to dig them up for reference.

As you can see, most results line up (within error margins) with an exception of a couple. I do have the phosphorus hobby results. The Hana ULR (which has been tested by BRS against expensive lab grade spectrometers) reported 10ppm, Triton came up with 6ppm and ICP-Analysis with 80ppm. I don't have a number for iron.

This shows me that I can rely a lot on the cheaper alternative but might have to be careful with a couple of readings (which might have improved since then).

Not sure if this helps others decide, it helped me for sure. View attachment results.pdf
Looked at it! Thx for sharing. Always be careful with some labs ;-)
However these Iodine levels must have been resulted in pretty white SPS Sir !?

morpheas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked at it! Thx for sharing. Always be careful with some labs ;-)
However these Iodine levels must have been resulted in pretty white SPS Sir !?
I'm afraid they're either the wrong unit (i have to check the spreadsheet again to see if i made a boo boo) or just wrong as i was doing no iodine dosing only potassium (as you can also see). I'm not sure if without dosing the iodine can get those values...

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm afraid they're either the wrong unit (i have to check the spreadsheet again to see if i made a boo boo) or just wrong as i was doing no iodine dosing only potassium (as you can also see). I'm not sure if without dosing the iodine can get those values...
The Triton one was toxic, the ICP result was very high but have seen these levels in some tanks and typically it bleaches many SPS.
Regarding Potassium I had tried the 500ppm range but did not like the Justin Credabel method. Everything was blue !!!! Not my thing.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How wide a tank would you say the 8x80 + led ati hybrid can light evenly? I believe the 300dd is 36" wide? How's the spread and how high above the water line is it mounted?

Thanks

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How wide a tank would you say the 8x80 + led ati hybrid can light evenly? I believe the 300dd is 36" wide? How's the spread and how high above the water line is it mounted?

Thanks
Valid question!
For the length of the tank it's perfect honestly.
For the width of 36" it is almost at the limit.
If you can see the front is lighted very good but the back of tank is a bit less lighted and covered, however allowing me montis and other background corals to be placed that do not need that much of light to grow.
Many people do install either Reefbrite bars or additional T5's on both ends to get up to 10 T5 bulbs. My fixture shield is 12-13" off the surface.

Hope that helps ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great man. Not to be that guy but do you have ID's for these two pieces??
No problem Sir ;-)

This is "Joe the Coral" with some less light it will have more green on the base.

This boy I have to wait until larger. It can only be RR Angry birds or RR Purple Rain.
I have free frags of it in different spots. AWESOME blue/purple in real life and red polyps.
The tissue has a metallic effect.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working a lot at the house the last days.

Tank doing fine.
Only annoying issue is too much Cyano which I did see from the beginning and couldn't compete it out the normal way. So today I did the first day of black out and observed very picky the tank PH. Lowest PH was 8.02 so everything good. Tomorrow I keep the tank black as well to see if that eliminates this particular species which I did not check under the microscope
1f641.png

Just take a wild guess, lol.
So I keep an eye on PH and monitor ALK during the black out.

Typically corals look much better after a blackout so I do normally just turn the lights on in the evening to check the corals.

Just did it and they all look great and have shown excellent PE this evening
1f609.png

This is partially due to the fact of less toxins in the tank.

-Andre

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0_F5_E7_BF7_77_C6_43_CF_85_A8_D3_B06_D88_F19_C.jpg

Well, you will be very surprised about the results ;-)

As you see all the fancy "hype" Trace Elements are either out of detectable range or really low !!!!!!!

FOLKS, THINK ABOUT THAT !!!
My Colors are great for most people compared to their tanks.
What I'm trying to say is that for decent colors, you won't need to chase Manganese, Rubidium, Zinc etc...............

Guys, get the basics straight and more important stable!!!
ALK, CA, MG, K, I is what you need to look out for as well some detectable nutrients ;-)

Been thinking about getting an ICP test for the hell of it, but everything is looking great in my new frag system. I figure my calcium reactor and 1.5% automatic daily water changes should keep everything right where it needs to be :)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been thinking about getting an ICP test for the hell of it, but everything is looking great in my new frag system. I figure my calcium reactor and 1.5% automatic daily water changes should keep everything right where it needs to be :)
Well, I must say I'm very disappointed with this lab after sending out another test and got results back that can't be possible so I quit using them.
Have an ATI kit and will check out their tests now ;-)

Let me tell you something, it gives you an idea where your levels are if you test now. And if in future some issue arise, then you can test again and you have a reference point where the levels were when the tank system was functioning well for you ;-)

Think about it.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back