Andre’s Full blown 300Gallon SPS Reeftank up within a week ;-)

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert on that subject but I believe if you freeze the proteins and enzymes of the yolk, most of them will be unusable after that?!?!
Depends on the speed of the freeze. Most home freezers will cause ice crystals to form that then cause things to burst and be destroyed, so you'll find you'll lose some to most of the goodies. This is of course unless you have a blast freezer or commercial "fast" freezer which the freezing is quick enough the ice crystals don't form and everything is intact :)

Love the test, I've heard the use of yolks before. One of the coral growers here in Aus swears by unflavoured and non-coloured whey protein as his coral food!

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the speed of the freeze. Most home freezers will cause ice crystals to form that then cause things to burst and be destroyed, so you'll find you'll lose some to most of the goodies. This is of course unless you have a blast freezer or commercial "fast" freezer which the freezing is quick enough the ice crystals don't form and everything is intact :)

Love the test, I've heard the use of yolks before. One of the coral growers here in Aus swears by unflavoured and non-coloured whey protein as his coral food!
Something like this I recalled but couldn’t recall any details.
Thx for chiming in out of Aussi ;-)

d00dy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Was wondering about some green algae growth on the overflows and thought I better check my Nitrates.
As expected it was low, but this even doesn’t need to be held against the color wheel. Clear as RODI water, no wonder I do see algae appear !!!

But clearly the Nitrate reactor works well. I’m feeding daily a tablespoon of Coral Frenzy soaked in Selcon.

Do you not feed your old Coral Soup anymore?

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you not feed your old Coral Soup anymore?
I do not feed the corals, except that egg yolk the other day, lol.

I only feed twice a day with Tetra Marine flakes the few fish I have left. Got a few more fish in this week. Overall not many fish for a 300gallon tank.
I plan to restart feeding like every other day or every three days soon.
Not sure what food I continue to use. Likely a mix of Coral Frenzy with some Diesel Brew ingredients.
Wanted to have a better picture of what colors I can achieve with trace elements only, also the tank being only a few months old, I did not wanted to add too much bioload and food sources that can't be processed by missing microorganism that you just not have in a fresh tank. By now I see plenty of sponges and critters that will take care of it.

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every other day!?! o_O makes me feel guilty about feeding pellets on the autofeeder 4 times every day and that's not to mention the other foods I feed personally hahaha

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every other day!?! o_O makes me feel guilty about feeding pellets on the autofeeder 4 times every day and that's not to mention the other foods I feed personally hahaha
lol. Some people do only feed once or twice a week some coral food.
Your pellets turn into nice coral food after the fish did process it, lol ;-)

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol. Some people do only feed once or twice a week some coral food.
Your pellets turn into nice coral food after the fish did process it, lol ;-)
haha I'm a bit of a serial over-feeder though! That being said I don't feed my corals at all (aside from a small amount of amino's), even the goni's, as they get plenty of poop and any potential leftovers!

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here a new PH curve out of my Calcium Reactor after changing finally again to my Neptune Lab Grade Probe instead the pinpoint (3 months old) !!!!
I was missing my accurate reading levels and finally had the time yesterday to switch the probe with new calibration etc.

Left side is before, middle is the swap, right side is the new lab grade probe from Neptune.
Gosh I hope now I can again adjust the Calcium reactor much better...........

Here a current situation:
60ml per minute effluent
21 dKh in the effluent
Means 60*21*60(hour) = 75,600 ALK units per hour and my ALK is still slowly dropping.
So I did drop a bit the reactor PH to get the effluent alk level higher which I target to get to the 80k-85k at the moment which is where I estimate my consumption of the tank at the moment. Will see ;-)
Anyways, this is proof in numbers that the tank is taking off...... well I can see it on the SPS growth as well.
I have previous reading in this thread as well somewhere earlier ;-)

-Andre

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's looking really good man! I like Bumble Bee! I love bee's though so I'm bias haha
Only issue that may arise is too many Bubble algae.
Got a crew of Emerald's now working on it ;-)

Also working on new Skimmer Impellers. For my Twin Turbo Monzster, I can't easily buy them here in the US.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back