Andre’s Full blown 300Gallon SPS Reeftank up within a week ;-)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice!

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serious question. What would you estimate shipping to college station to be? Yes I realize it’s only 2 hours away but I will not have the 5 hour round trip tome it would take to come pick some things up. Not for the foreseeable future

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serious question. What would you estimate shipping to college station to be? Yes I realize it’s only 2 hours away but I will not have the 5 hour round trip tome it would take to come pick some things up. Not for the foreseeable future
From experience I would estimate it with $38-$45 somewhere for 4-8 frags roughly overnight.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May have to do some business in the near future. Pm me a price list when you have a chance
I'm not offering corals to order Sir, sorry....... :(
If I frag occasionally you will may find them on the Livestock market here on R2R ;)

For now I want to grow out everything as much as possible as quick as possible..........yiehaaa

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I did the first feed last night with a new mix I will try now ;-)
Unfortunately the Sweet and Sour Sauce was no good so I have to buy some fresh one before using it in the mix.

Here the rough secret recipe V1.0 ;)
It is so secret that I had last night some special visitors in front of the house trying to steal it !!! Unbelievable cute guy, but a real Bandit he is.

So I did mix
25ml of each Reef Energy
5ml each of Arcti pods and Oyster feat
Half a teaspoon of TPM Zooplankton and Gonipower
3-4 drops of the Browning sauce (in the Selcon dropper bottle)
And some organic Chlorella superfood

Mixed and soaked it for 10 minutes and poured it in.
The Oyster feast I prefer in the mix because it makes the skimmer working bad with the fats, allowing the stuff to remain longer in the water prior skimming it out.

Here the amount of Chlorella used twice!

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that doesn't look like a flat red sea scoop ;)

that's an interesting mix! are you turning off the returns and running the display pumps and just letting it circulate in the display a while?

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that doesn't look like a flat red sea scoop ;)

that's an interesting mix! are you turning off the returns and running the display pumps and just letting it circulate in the display a while?
My mentor, the @Diesel told me years back "Boy, there is no one in the ocean turning the main pump off in the night", lol. So no!

What I got to do is to mount and wire all the Wavemaker to my APEX soon, still pending ;-(
Then I will basically ramp down the flow pumps down to it's lowest setting possible so the corals can expand their polyps more in the night.

My filtersocks have ea 3x 3/4" holes punched in o_O
that will allow the stuff to recirculate for a while.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sock in my sump with bigger holes :eek:
And it's in there since January, I assume a large bacteria factory.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sock in my sump with bigger holes :eek:
And it's in there since January, I assume a large bacteria factory.
Same here, old socks in use since the beginning in January. Great.... I don't have to wash them and they last forever :confused:. Just placed some filter fleece in it to run the water a bit cleaner. And as you said very well, they are great bacteria factories producing nitrates so no dosing needed.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SSSSSSST...... reveal not to many old school European secrets ;)
Ppl need to understand that we need to dose, more is better :rolleyes:
Change water as much as you can, change lights and skimmers to the best and newest every six months.
Three reactors are better than two, and wash your socks :p everyday.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One little update here.
Yesterday I decided to shut down my Calcium Reactor!
Ca kept creeping up and it was high at the beginning at the tank already.
Waiting for my ATI results but measure already being somewhere in the 480-490ppm range, that is bothering me now due to less growth. Salinity/ALK/Ca ratio is out of whack and I like to drop it back to 420 again.

So I took the power off the regulator and manually dose Soda Ash for a few days.
I may find my dosing pump power adapter today to help these efforts o_O

ALK dropped already about 1 dKH in 24hours so I guess I likely will see some adverse effects and coloration losses very soon............. but it will come back even better after that.

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a similar issue with calcium using my reactor, and as a result I am switching to a dosing setup that gives me more control. Are you just making a single adjustment then plan to bring the reactor back online? Or are you considering a switch to dosing?

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a similar issue with calcium using my reactor, and as a result I am switching to a dosing setup that gives me more control. Are you just making a single adjustment then plan to bring the reactor back online? Or are you considering a switch to dosing?
No, the dosing to get Ca down to 420 I will do only for estimated 3-4 days until Ca is where I like it to have. Then I will turn a day before I reach my desired Ca level the Carx back on to give it time for ramp up, while reducing the ALK dosing.
With the corals almost stopped growing, the Ca consumption goes down, so there is a bit of offset in the ALK/Ca ratio that can happen.
I did dosing in my previous 210 which was a full blown aquatic forest, I did use with the strongest mixes on 3 part solutions almost 7-8 Gallons of liquid per week. The other issue was continuously pump failures after a while but more concerning was the increasing sodium parameter which were off the charts at the end, resulting in white pale colors, so I did the change to Calcium reactor use. Simply love it.
Normally the Ca has to be corrected a bit monthly, but normally the scale upwards, lol. I will see how turns out this time.
@Randy Holmes-Farley did an article about the inconsistent ALK/Ca consumption some time ago, very interesting to read!!! As many know, bacteria and other biological processes consume Alk and if the corals decided not to grow that well, Ca crawls up slowly. I did have good growth rate while CA was in the 460 range, but after I apparently hit the 480 mark 2 months later, growth reduced significant since last week. Will see how the corals react to the change in the last 24 hours later this afternoon when back home. Typically my Pink Birdsnest is one of my best growth indicators.
Ideally I should be done with this exercise over the weekend ;-)

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fighting the other way, high kh 9.9 and cal and mag, lost the post it note, both low, 200 and 12oo range respectively, my sps growth also stopped!
I dose manually, I probably should test more often for the big 3?! ;)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back