Andre’s Full blown 300Gallon SPS Reeftank up within a week ;-)

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
much better!

Watch out, your Fluoride is over 2!!!! ;)

curious, what do you read your salinity at? When I read mine at 35ppt, ATI reads it at ~33ppt. Looks like you are showing under 33 on your test, so curious if you are seeing the same issue.
Fluoride at 2ppm, I know ;), wanted to see if my calculations are correct.
I have skipped a week of dosing it after the test sample for safety purpose and continued my daily dosage then. Will see how the trend is going so I end up in the 1.7ppm somewhere.

I need to get a new Salinity probe for my APEX and see what it compares to future tests. I use a IO Hydrometer and watch simply trending and try to stick with 1.025 to this device. In the previous tank I ran normally 32-33ppt according to the APEX temperature compensated Salinity probe.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is also the link to the ATI Lab tank which should allow access to all test results and diagrams etc.

http://lab.atiaquaristik.com/timeline/8842

That's a very nice feature to be able to see each element graphed over time. I sent in my first ATI test a couple weeks back. How long has the turn around been for you (ship to results)?

Are you running Potassium high intentionally? Do you plan to keep it elevated?

And finally, I found out that this frag from a local reefer originated with you, blueberry something. Do you still have the colony?
DSC_6406.jpg

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a very nice feature to be able to see each element graphed over time. I sent in my first ATI test a couple weeks back. How long has the turn around been for you (ship to results)?

Are you running Potassium high intentionally? Do you plan to keep it elevated?

And finally, I found out that this frag from a local reefer originated with you, blueberry something. Do you still have the colony?
DSC_6406.jpg
Well noticed!!! Potassium is actually far too high and I wish there would be an absorber for that, lol. I try to get it back down to 420-410 somewhere over time.
What happened was a classic mix of overdosing and a ****** test kit to begin with.
Originally K was very low in the first saltwater mix which I noticed after the fill.
Then I did a great overdosing to 460 according to ICP test from ATI. After the first test I had to increase salinity and used Tropic Marin Pro which brought in some more Potassium hence I ended up with an increase over the testing time so far.
I did not supplement any Potassium to answer your question and hope that K will get down quick enough. IF it still continues to raise, then I have to blame the reactor media for it. With accelerated growth this should not happen, lol.

The coral appears to be the RP Blueberry Limeade Nasuta and need more light Sir to glow in aquamarine with purple tips and yellow rims. And yes I have actually a pretty good sized colony of it still. Let it grow out a bit more and let's see if it is the one ;-)

Trevor40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through the whole thread. Thank you for all the details on your water chemistry. I learned a lot about the nutrient balance in the tank and have been focusing on keeping nitrates around 5 ppm recently. Hoping it helps color up some faded acros. I have the 3 important perimeters stable.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through the whole thread. Thank you for all the details on your water chemistry. I learned a lot about the nutrient balance in the tank and have been focusing on keeping nitrates around 5 ppm recently. Hoping it helps color up some faded acros. I have the 3 important perimeters stable.
THX man, nice to hear that!!! Always glad when someone could use and learn from the stuff I'm writing down here, lol.
In your case, start to look into Potassium and Strontium next when the big 3 are in good shape.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Picture from UC

I was luckily be able to snag this Aussie Ice Fire Echinata from Unique Corals !!!
Really missed my Ice Fire that I lost in the tank disaster :-(

I hope this piece will acclimate nicely and will be as beautiful as the previous one I had.
IFE's are a bit tricky and this seems to be a Divers cut, not sure how long it is already in captivity, probably not very long.

Couldn't find anyone with a good sized Aqua cultured mini colony so I give this a try.
A lot of times the wild ones won't make it very long, but will see...........

I hope it survives the dipping procedure.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well noticed!!! Potassium is actually far too high and I wish there would be an absorber for that, lol. I try to get it back down to 420-410 somewhere over time.
What happened was a classic mix of overdosing and a ****** test kit to begin with.
Originally K was very low in the first saltwater mix which I noticed after the fill.
Then I did a great overdosing to 460 according to ICP test from ATI. After the first test I had to increase salinity and used Tropic Marin Pro which brought in some more Potassium hence I ended up with an increase over the testing time so far.
I did not supplement any Potassium to answer your question and hope that K will get down quick enough. IF it still continues to raise, then I have to blame the reactor media for it. With accelerated growth this should not happen, lol.

The coral appears to be the RP Blueberry Limeade Nasuta and need more light Sir to glow in aquamarine with purple tips and yellow rims. And yes I have actually a pretty good sized colony of it still. Let it grow out a bit more and let's see if it is the one ;-)

Oh it’s the real deal. My friend mike picked that one plus the BC reef ready grape juice for me from you some months ago. It’s been doing very well. When my foxface doesn’t decide to break the colony up which his does frequently. I’ve had to sell/trade 3-4 frags of it thanks to that fish. It’s toward the back so I can’t get a clear shot of it this is zoomed and grainy. I’ll have to move the colony soon though because it is about 1/2 cm from touching a neighbor, and there is a bubble tip anemone inching closer and closer to it. I’ll likely cut the whole colony and move it this weekend

This look closer to optimum color?

f53ed0312db8d322e3f58730c1afe369.jpg

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice size piece. Hope it makes it so I can grab a frag :)
Will see ;-)
Usually it takes 6-9months to see if the Coral is going to make it in a tank environment on the long run. That's why ICE's have this bad reputation to die after a while even while they are doing well for weeks after introduction.

Would really be great if I can make it a considered "aquacultured mommy" one day.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh it’s the real deal. My friend mike picked that one plus the BC reef ready grape juice for me from you some months ago. It’s been doing very well. When my foxface doesn’t decide to break the colony up which his does frequently. I’ve had to sell/trade 3-4 frags of it thanks to that fish. It’s toward the back so I can’t get a clear shot of it this is zoomed and grainy. I’ll have to move the colony soon though because it is about 1/2 cm from touching a neighbor, and there is a bubble tip anemone inching closer and closer to it. I’ll likely cut the whole colony and move it this weekend

This look closer to optimum color?

f53ed0312db8d322e3f58730c1afe369.jpg
Great news, I may need a frag back since I lost my Reef Ready Grape Juice colony as well in the tank disaster.
I bought a XXL frag from BC and it's growing but does look different somehow still from the Grape Juice I had before. It may just need some more time, however I may come back to you for a frag of my original one I had ;-)

This is how the Grape Juice looked like. I have another picture somewhere where it's even bigger and has more purple on the tips. Polyps are blue and skin is yellow bright green.
Fantastic eye catcher due to the odd coloration compared to other SPS.

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Picture from UC

I was luckily be able to snag this Aussie Ice Fire Echinata from Unique Corals !!!
Really missed my Ice Fire that I lost in the tank disaster :-(

I hope this piece will acclimate nicely and will be as beautiful as the previous one I had.
IFE's are a bit tricky and this seems to be a Divers cut, not sure how long it is already in captivity, probably not very long.

Couldn't find anyone with a good sized Aqua cultured mini colony so I give this a try.
A lot of times the wild ones won't make it very long, but will see...........

I hope it survives the dipping procedure.

Best of luck. We’ve imported quite a few of these over the years for multiple tanks strait from Cairnes. They color up pretty easily to the classic look with the bright blue tips but... they do not handle dips very well at all :)

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news, I may need a frag back since I lost my Reef Ready Grape Juice colony as well in the tank disaster.
I bought a XXL frag from BC and it's growing but does look different somehow still from the Grape Juice I had before. It may just need some more time, however I may come back to you for a frag of my original one I had ;-)

This is how the Grape Juice looked like. I have another picture somewhere where it's even bigger and has more purple on the tips. Polyps are blue and skin is yellow bright green.
Fantastic eye catcher due to the odd coloration compared to other SPS.

I’ll try to get a top down of mine later today. Mine is almost solid purple with very little green to it at all. Interesting how the same pieces can morph so much from tank to tank. Can definitely pass some back along at some point. It’s doing well now though it had a rough few months there. Urchin knocker it off it’s spot and it laid face down inside a bubble coral for 8 hours before I was able to rescue it. It’s amazing it has even survived. It bleached to the point I was certain it was dead but the actual tissue didn’t necrose so over time it has regained color and PE

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck. We’ve imported quite a few of these over the years for multiple tanks strait from Cairnes. They color up pretty easily to the classic look with the bright blue tips but... they do not handle dips very well at all :)
That's right, I have to do a long but careful dip and if needed, surgery as well. Echinata tend to have worms in the skeleton. I do Bayer and a separate dip in Interceptor which takes a few hours in separate containers.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try to get a top down of mine later today. Mine is almost solid purple with very little green to it at all. Interesting how the same pieces can morph so much from tank to tank. Can definitely pass some back along at some point. It’s doing well now though it had a rough few months there. Urchin knocker it off it’s spot and it laid face down inside a bubble coral for 8 hours before I was able to rescue it. It’s amazing it has even survived. It bleached to the point I was certain it was dead but the actual tissue didn’t necrose so over time it has regained color and PE
Yes, overall its a robust and very aggressive coral! Typically it killed all neighbors when they touched each other.

Trevor40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you dose Nitrates successfully without turning your tank into a cyanobacteria factory? My 240 gallon is 8 months old and anytime I try to raise the nutrients my tank just looks like hell.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's right, I have to do a long but careful dip and if needed, surgery as well. Echinata tend to have worms in the skeleton. I do Bayer and a separate dip in Interceptor which takes a few hours in separate containers.

As above, go super careful with the dip, most smooth skins hate dips IME.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back