(Andy) spspirate's 30 Deep Blue Cube

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah , i am really thinking about it now! lol. i pretty much have everything i need. now i just have to convince myself to keep it simple and small. i don't want to go overboard like it did last time! your system is inspiring and seeing that a smaller dt can be just as if not more full of life i am leaning in that direction. do u happen to have any shots of your rock work without and livestock in there? would love to get some ideas :) food for my coral addict thoughts! lol

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple is the best way...I don't have a pic of just the rock in there. What I made was a center island and a secondary smaller island and some tonga branch.

Jaygalindo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andy can you tell me about your thoughts on the deep blue overflow and plumbing? Did u make any mods or change out the original bulkheads? I'm getting ready to fire up my deep blue and I'd like to make necessary changes before I fill the tank up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made no changes at all. Though I did gravity feed my skimmer.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

laytonp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just plumbed my 60 deep blue and their bulkheads didn't hold. Had to replace the return and after a couple of tries I got the supply to seal.

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny I just noticed I never listed my parameters. Dosing includes Fuel by Seachem and Reef Nutrition's Oyster Feast.

Calcium=+ or - 380ppm
Magnesium= 1350ppm
dKH=10
Specific gravity=1.027

Last edited:
OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I really like the shallow reefs. Upkeep is pretty simple.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man.

Loving the tank!

Couple questions if you don't mind:

Besides 2 cubes Rotifers, 2 cubes mysis daily. What is your weekly routine? (Fuel? Reef Plus? Oyster Feast?)

I am thinking of going heavier on the feeding and AAs (I have pale sticks :(), but I am concerned about nutrients. My skimmer is a SRO XP1000 SSS (since my sump is cramped) I also run GFO and ROX Carbon. If I start stocking/feeding heavier do you think my skimmer will be able to hold up? Or will I have to start doing some carbon dosing?

For being a nice guy and answering some random dude's questions in you build thread, here is a recipe for DIY oyster feast. Maybe you have already seen it, but oh well. ;)
Home blended coral food, (used to be $5)

Last edited:
OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man.

Loving the tank!

Couple questions if you don't mind:

Besides 2 cubes Rotifers, 2 cubes mysis daily. What is your weekly routine? (Fuel? Reef Plus? Oyster Feast?)

I am thinking of going heavier on the feeding and AAs (I have pale sticks :(), but I am concerned about nutrients. My skimmer is a SRO XP1000 SSS (since my sump is cramped) I also run GFO and ROX Carbon. If I start stocking/feeding heavier do you think my skimmer will be able to hold up? Or will I have to start doing some carbon dosing?

For being a nice guy and answering some random dude's questions in you build thread, here is a recipe for DIY oyster feast. Maybe you have already seen it, but oh well. ;)
Home blended coral food, (used to be $5)

LOL! Thanks. Im not familiar with your skimmer. I would feed a variety of foods and not feed more than you filtration (mechanical, biological, chemical) can take. My schedule is not religious but is done twice a week with reef plus and oyster feast. I have carbon dosed before using vodka with good success maybe thats an option for you. If you want a good chart send me a PM. What are you using for light?

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should post another FTS mang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_0038_1_zps4c63628e.jpg

Jaygalindo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see some pics of this tank in its early stages... Also a shot of ur sump and equipment

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! Thanks. Im not familiar with your skimmer. I would feed a variety of foods and not feed more than you filtration (mechanical, biological, chemical) can take. My schedule is not religious but is done twice a week with reef plus and oyster feast. I have carbon dosed before using vodka with good success maybe thats an option for you. If you want a good chart send me a PM. What are you using for light?

I decided that my current skimmer is too small so I ordered a SRO Diablo DCS-200 (Octopus Diablo 8" Skimmer with DC Controllable Pump). Tank is 57g BTW.

I'd rather not carbon dose if I don't have to. It sounds finicky and high risk (at least that's how I have interpreted it. Maybe it is easier than I think). The part that confuses me is balancing N03 with P04 and having to cut the dose down at a certain point.

I try to stick to K.I.S.S. as much as I can.

Is the chart the one in Reefkeeping Mag? If not, I'll PM you. ;)

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back