Andyf30's Red Sea Reefer 170

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, going to start a build thread. I have been out of the hobby for years, but by virtue of rotating to a new land assignment and having 3 years in Miami, I figured why not get a little nano-ish tank going!

I am currently in the freshwater leak testing stage and so far everything seems good! Went with a Sicce Syncra Pro 550 for the return. Thing is super quiet.

For updates:

Tank was received Friday, 8/7 and put together Saturday, 8/8. The stand had some odd issues. Everything was really really solid, except the cam screws are screwing into some kind of silicone fitting that seems like it is glued into the holes. On three of the cam screws, that glued base came loose in the hole and I couldn't advance the screw any further as the base was spinning with them. Two were on the top of the cabinet, so not really weight bearing. The third however was in the middle of one of the walls of the cabinet. The cams can still lock on these and the stand seems stable. But I am going to wait to put anything other than freshwater in the tank until Red Sea gets back to me about the ticket I submitted.

Will post updates as they come!

image2.jpeg image1.jpeg image0.jpeg

OP
OP
Andyf30

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time:

I had read a few complaints about Red Sea's customer service and I am starting to agree with them. It has been hard to get even one email a day from the customer service agent who is helping me. I understand I didn't get the biggest, most expensive system they offer, but it is a premium system and you would expect better.

At the moment, the solution they are offering is replacing the panels that have messed up cam screws. I responded and let them know that I would need the three panels that had messed up screws, and then, while disassembling the stand, this happened:
image2.jpeg

The plastic base that is meant to hold the cam screw in place completely popped out, which was my biggest fear when having the weight of a tank on it long term. I sent them this photo and requested a new stand, as this one clearly is just a dud. Currently waiting to hear back (and as noted above, lord knows when that will be), so now my living room looks like this for the foreseeable future:

image1.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh man so sorry to hear of the troubles! Hopefully they will get it worked out for you!

OP
OP
Andyf30

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rev! Wow, been on this forum for years and having you respond to a build thread feels like a celebrity said hi! ;) Thanks for following along!

OP
OP
Andyf30

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The saga with Red Sea continues. After being promised yesterday that the Customer Service agent would send my request for new panels and screws to the warehouse first thing this morning and would let me know when it shipped, I received nothing today.

This system is definitely top notch but man is this Customer Service a head ache.

OP
OP
Andyf30

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully final update, Red Sea finally got back to me and due to stocking issues with COVID and whatnot, are just going to send me an entirely new white stand, which will ideally ship out today. Frankly that is what I wanted. As an unintended upside, the old stand, now missing one cam screw, is definitely still strong enough to hold my crested gecko's 18x18x24 vivarium. My fiancee and I had been looking for weeks for one that matched our decor and this will work perfectly!

Bonus pic of Zeke; he is quite the chonk.
image0.jpeg

OP
OP
Andyf30

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today disaster struck. I had my new AI Hydra 64HD light sitting on my empty tank and was looking at spectrums this morning. Went to sit in on a virtual telephone call and heard a crash. Walked over to the tank to find my AI Hydra on the ground, the HMS Flex arm base cockeyed on my tank, and a crack in the side of my tank.

This tank seems like it is hell bent on never being filled with water. AI customer service was fantastic to deal with. Immediately offered to replace the mount. Unfortunately, while still waiting for final notice on receiving a new stand, I now have to re-engage Red Sea customer service and try and get a new tank as well. This should be fun.
image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

OP
OP
Andyf30

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully the last update without a tank:

AI gave me a new flexmount, but based on my experience I decided to get the AI arm mount in spite of the reviews on BRS. It was true to the reviews in that it was a pain to put together, but it is significantly more solid than the flex mount. Much more confidence in this one.

A second update, I have ordered my replacement display! I am going to call the freight company today to arrange delivery. Fingers crossed, the next update on this thread should be fill day!

OP
OP
Andyf30

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frankly, between the stand issues and now a cracked tank arriving, I am at the point where I wish I had given my money to pretty much anyone else.

Refused delivery, and have called Red Sea customer service a few times to no response. This was how it was last week as well when I was trying to just order the replacement tank. A bit confused as to why such a large and prominent company would make it a. so hard to give them my money and b. after the stand and the tank, put out such a bad product and not package things effectively. Attached is one of 3 punctures in the cardboard, all three of which made it through to glass. I get some of that falls on the carrier, but correctly packaging a glass aquarium is also a critical part of it arriving safely.

Sorry for the vent post, but this is just getting absurd at this point. I’m months into the process and seem to keep getting nowhere.

3DBC2833-AB8A-49D1-A683-8AAFF1546029.jpeg

OP
OP
Andyf30

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new tank is arriving tomorrow and my rock and the last of the equipment arrives this afternoon. Fingers crossed everything arrives in good condition. I am overdue for a positive update on this thread.

mariano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you get your new tank in the shape is supposed to arrive, I was so stressed when I ordered mine, but it arrived on time and in excellent shape, I live in Fort Lauderdale and the company who delivered the tank was ABF Freight. You are going to love the little monster, its a beautiful tank once its set up.

OP
OP
Andyf30

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you get your new tank in the shape is supposed to arrive, I was so stressed when I ordered mine, but it arrived on time and in excellent shape, I live in Fort Lauderdale and the company who delivered the tank was ABF Freight. You are going to love the little monster, its a beautiful tank once its set up.

Thanks, me too. Down here in Coral Gables it is R and L carriers. They seem pretty timely, but man that last display was pretty jacked up when it came in. I am so excited to finally get it set up. Everything is finally coming together hopefully.

OP
OP
Andyf30

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success! We have a tank that holds water! Got it in today, filled it, no leaks, and the plumbing isn't leaking either. All good so far! Let me know what you think of the scape and the under-cabinet (need to do some wire clean up but all in all turned out well)

KX0264cdT5OPqEGQWEwLSw.jpg Df3r7eagTQeA0qv2RPtbiA.jpg A4DsGh7HTECM8bV37M26yw.jpg

mariano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im glad man! we have the same skimmer also lol , very good skimmer. just give it a few days to break in.
A481B394-98BB-4365-BD6C-FDBC59446BAB.jpeg

about the aquascape, i would remove one or two rocks, so your corals will have room to grow since the tank is not that big. i did so many aquascapes when i first got the tank lol. ive changed it about 4 times, but not long ago i ended up doing this aquascape, i dod it so i have a lot of room for corals.
0A7E98C2-415A-4E37-AF76-601DB4465AAD.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andyf30

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im glad man! we have the same skimmer also lol , very good skimmer. just give it a few days to break in.
A481B394-98BB-4365-BD6C-FDBC59446BAB.jpeg

about the aquascape, i would remove one or two rocks, so your corals will have room to grow since the tank is not that big. i did so many aquascapes when i first got the tank lol. ive changed it about 4 times, but not long ago i ended up doing this aquascape, i dod it so i have a lot of room for corals.
0A7E98C2-415A-4E37-AF76-601DB4465AAD.jpeg
Thanks! What light are you using for your undertank lighting? I've had my eyes out for adhesive shop lights and things like that that would help me see better underneath.

As for the scape, I think I might replace the top rock that is up near the surface. I like how broad the base of the scape is for now but the extra height for a stickhead like me may become an issue down the line I will admit.

OP
OP
Andyf30

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. I'll go browse around on Amazon or something and see what I can come up with

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! What light are you using for your undertank lighting? I've had my eyes out for adhesive shop lights and things like that that would help me see better underneath.

As for the scape, I think I might replace the top rock that is up near the surface. I like how broad the base of the scape is for now but the extra height for a stickhead like me may become an issue down the line I will admit.
IKEA has a plethora of styles and lengths of under cabinet lighting for kitchens. It is usually reasonably priced and quite sturdy. It might fit your needs if a store is nearby.

OP
OP
Andyf30

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the second full day of being running:

Replaced the top rock with a smaller Liferock arch that makes another cavern going down into the heart of the scape. It is hard to see but from top down looks amazing and will give the fish plenty of space to swim. Also will allow me a stag or two on top.
lm+2xFrhTCm98ca9yWNWQg.jpg

+rrUHCMZR8y0yQGgWFOP2w.jpg

Second update, got some lights for the sump and moved the old large rock down there. Additionally, ditched the really, genuinely awful filter sock they give you stock with the system lol and got the filter cup and some floss in there. Tank is starting to clear up more already. That sock was catching NOTHIN'
BKjiG7kKS4ao%V+SCmAXGw.jpg

Lastly, just to continue the theme of eye candy in the absence of coral, my 11 week old as of last Friday Black Lab Tucker at the beach here in Miami. Lil man figured out how to dig at the beach. Uh oh.

IMG_1075.jpg

OP
OP
Andyf30

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated Equipment List:

Tank: Red Sea Reefer 170

Filtration:
Red Sea Filter Cup with floss
Reef Octopus INT-110 SS

Pumps:
Return - Sicce Syncra Pro 2.0
MP10

Light:
AI Hydra64HD

Heater:
Inkbird monitor
Eheim 200w submersible

Started with Dr Tim's and have ammonium chloride coming today.

First round of tests were 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 2 ppm nitrate. All other specs were normal for a saltwater tank that has no coral in it yet. Got some dosing to do in the next few weeks.

Back