OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along! You're a part of the Radion club now. Never thought I'd see that happen! Welcome to the Dark Side (or maybe it's the "Light" Side)! ;)
Don't scare me back to halides...Lol! I'm looking forward to a new challenge. May the force be with me:)

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have decided to run this new system with no skimmer. My bioload will be fairly light. Its all about nutrient export, what ever mode it may be and yes a skimmer would saturate the water with oxygen but I feel with good flow to agitate the surface I can achieve the level of 02 I need. I haven't had a refugium in a very long time and have always enjoyed them. If done right I feel it could stand as the main filtration source. I plan on using a 20 long for my sump. Having my drain, heater on the left side and the middle having good quality rock and lots of sponge and macro of some sort. Will also be adding good flow with in the refugium. To the far right will be my return pump. I will also run carbon (lignite) and GFO. So this is a rough mind sketch of what I'll be doing under the hood. Simple but I believe efficient.

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is what u have been up 2 . Congrats on the new digs .
My bud has a radion xr15pro on a jbj cubish 45 n it was not enough . If u keep the sticks in good areas u might be gold. I carefully watched his sps from frags stage 2 colony stage. Shading got bad . He couldn't turn up the intensity since it would create a hot spot in the middle.
His cure ..
He got a bigger tank n talked me out of one of my ati pm leds. Now he has too much light .Ha ha . Anywho u have two pucks , so coverage should be better . I look forward to seeing the skimmerless build .
It seems weekly water changes have been for the better .

X

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is what u have been up 2 . Congrats on the new digs .
My bud has a radion xr15pro on a jbj cubish 45 n it was not enough . If u keep the sticks in good areas u might be gold. I carefully watched his sps from frags stage 2 colony stage. Shading got bad . He couldn't turn up the intensity since it would create a hot spot in the middle.
His cure ..
He got a bigger tank n talked me out of one of my ati pm leds. Now he has too much light .Ha ha . Anywho u have two pucks , so coverage should be better . I look forward to seeing the skimmerless build .
It seems weekly water changes have been for the better .

X
Thanks! Yea I think I'm good with the foot print of the tank versus the photo foot print of the light. Im definitely stepping into new water with LED's so going to take it slow..... Im pretty confident going skimmer less as long as I stick to my guns.

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New room is coming a long a little slower than I like but here we are so far. Insulation is in and drywall going up tomorrow!

IMG_2749_zpswcthrflc.jpg

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New room is coming a long a little slower than I like but here we are so far. Insulation is in and drywall going up tomorrow!

IMG_2749_zpswcthrflc.jpg
Happy to see some progress! Can't wait to see the stand and tank!

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hurry up would ya?? Lol

I really like radions, I went from halides to radions.....

Then back to halides hahaha. I'll never go back to led unless they stop production on the 250w radium

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hurry up would ya?? Lol

I really like radions, I went from halides to radions.....

Then back to halides hahaha. I'll never go back to led unless they stop production on the 250w radium
I know right! I've been a Radium rat for years!! I hope I enjoy my Radion. How come you went back to halides?

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know right! I've been a Radium rat for years!! I hope I enjoy my Radion. How come you went back to halides?

Honestly it was just to try and see if there was a difference in growth and color, and boy was there. Sps took off like never before and colors became much deeper. And my lps (mostly acans) colored up immensely.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool bro!

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple quick shots of some goodies in the little skimmer less 20.

Jason Fox Twin Spot psammy
IMG_2758_1_zpsxmaoscnl.jpg

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 177 72.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back