Anemone — failed split or chopped by power head. Recommendations?

bitstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a few months old and as a newbie put a rose BTA in there just 1 month in (yes, the tank was cycled with bacteria for 5 days before adding livestock). For the first 6 weeks all seemed well as the anemone stayed put, ate the occasional bit of mysis, and looked great (big bubbles, no stretching, etc). The last two weeks, it has been on the move every other night… and last night it went on quite the adventure, crawling up the back glass all the way to the water’s surface.

I left it be and this morning found a chunk of the nem shriveled on the sand bed and the rest of it is hiding deep in a cave.

Now, I’m not sure if the clowns attacked it in the night, if it tried to split but failed, or if it climbed into the unprotected outflow of my Nero 3 (it has a 3D printed nem guard on the back). My guess is the latter, as the nem looks like there’s roughly 2/3rds left. It’s in a cave holding on to the side with its foot but doesn’t look super hot. I’m wondering if it’s best to put it out of its potential misery or just wait a few days and see what it does.

Ammonia is 0.02-0.05 (salifert) and nitrite is 0.02 (salifert), nitrates are 10-15, temp is 77.5F (26C), Alk is 7.9 according to Hanna or 8.6 according to Salifert (let’s assume 7.9 worst case), calcium is 390. Haven’t checked Ph or Mag.

About the only other notable things I can think of is that my clowns attacked my frogspawn a couple days ago which forced me to move it, and the clowns have been pecking at the sand bed a lot this morning and acting somewhat unusual.. pre-spawning rituals perhaps?

I also lost a cleaner shrimp a week ago but it looked like maybe a failed molt.

Tank right now has 2 juvenile clowns, 1 royal gramma, and a trochus snail. The snail was added 4-5 days ago.

IMG_0903.jpeg

OP
OP
bitstream

bitstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty confident that this thing walked right into the buzzsaw that is my Nero 3. I’m seeing occasional tips floating around in the tank.

The flow coming out of this thing is pretty intense, so why the nem would literally risk suicide is anybody’s guess. It spends all its time running AWAY from flow.

OP
OP
bitstream

bitstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It crawled out of its cave just now and man does this thing look wrecked.
IMG_0904.jpeg

OP
OP
bitstream

bitstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up taking it out of its misery. It was cut through the mouth, all but one of its remaining tentacles were damaged, it was getting blown around the tank, and got sucked into the power head guard, causing more damage.

Little guy was a fighter, crawling around trying to make a go of it, but even if it lived it’d be so badly scarred.

Sucks, because it wasn’t cheap.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back