Anemone a goner I think.

Mshanej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son came home last week with what he was told was a long tentacle anemone from our local Petland. I’m not sure. It’s white/blue with an orange base. It hasn’t attached since he brought it home. He will grab you if your in his area though! We have many other corals, all doing fine. Tonight it looks very odd. Swollen and twisted. Midday today is had brown coming out of his mouth (it looked like to me. Didn’t get a pic). Not sure if I should take him out or not before he destroys my tank. We have a condi (other side of the tank) doing great. Actually has doubled size in a few months. I have corrected my son for buying him! I’m running carbon because we have two. I’ve read contradicting comments on haveing two, but they are nowhere near each other. I’ve attached a picture. Any advice?
Tank:
120 gallon (three years old but was moved a few months ago to the other side of the house)
Lights are 2 SB Reef Lights (I run them always on full blast. The app doesn’t work for me and there are no manual controls! Help with that would rock as well!)
I tested:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Ph 8.4
Nitrate 0
Can’t test for anything else. Waiting on new kit from amazon.
Temp is 79 always
Other tank mates (all doing fine)
Two clowns (do not care at all about the anemone they host a toadstool leather)
5 huge fingerleathers
The condi
Torch coral
Frogapawn
Yellow tang
Watchman goby and his shrimp buddy (we rarely get to see these two)
Few button polyps
Green stars. (Everywhere. Literally!)
Birdsnest
Crabs and such
Lots of pods. I have a post about that on here before. At night it looks like a snow globe!
BFFA8A84-0760-45E1-A43B-29D651140826.jpeg

I’ve watched nothing seems to go around him. The yellow tang was interested but now seems bored and has went back to his side of the tank. None of the other corals are around him. And they are all happy and fine. Thoughts?

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume it's not used to so much light, especially considering itr already looks a bit bleached in your picture. Do you have a shaded area in the tank where you could try to bury the foot and keep it out of direct light?

OP
OP
M

Mshanej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume it's not used to so much light, especially considering itr already looks a bit bleached in your picture. Do you have a shaded area in the tank where you could try to bury the foot and keep it out of direct light?
I thought that in the first few days. After searching online about them. So I left the lights on that side of the tank off. Two days in a row. Then only turned them on for a few hours a day. Didn’t seem to help him. :/

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely a LTA. Do you have a sand bed deep enough for him to bury his foot?

OP
OP
M

Mshanej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely a LTA. Do you have a sand bed deep enough for him to bury his foot?
I guess. Some spots are deeper than others. I put him on this side of the tank because it was the deepest. Dug him a little hole and put him in it. He stayed in the area, but never attatched. I sure hope I can save him. Hurts my heart to lose anything in there.

OP
OP
M

Mshanej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning. Still not looking good. Rechecked the tank. All numbers are good except nitrates are up a little. Doing a water change now.

FD93BA4A-2242-43D7-8CEF-10A91D619DC3.jpeg

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea defiantly a LTA.
They require a deep sand bed.
Usually when a anemone does not attach it is something wrong with the foot like a small rip.
Anemones are very hard to buy. If they are not attached in the retailers tank stay away.
On the other hand if they are attached they can be very hard to remove without damaging the foot especially when some employees have little experience.
I would inspect the foot for damage.
Another reason a anemone wont attach or lets loose is they hate where they are at because conditions are wrong and they float somewhere else.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok you posted the picture while I was typing the last post.
That mouth looks terrible you can see the mesenterial filaments from the stomach.

OP
OP
M

Mshanej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok you posted the picture while I was typing the last post.
That mouth looks terrible you can see the mesenterial filaments from the stomach.
I’m going to have to google that...but it sounds terrible. Should I take him out? Poor guy. Is there anything I can do for it?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have never had a LTA but I have had most anemones and if they are torn most likely not.
If it is a bacterial infection you could remove it into quarantine and treat with ciprofloxacin. People have had luck with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mshanej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys. Pieces of her started to float throughout the tank. So I had to take her out. When I picked her up with the net it was almost like she was made of paper. Sad day in the reef tank. :/

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well guys. Pieces of her started to float throughout the tank. So I had to take her out. When I picked her up with the net it was almost like she was made of paper. Sad day in the reef tank. :/

Yea too bad.. It happens sometimes.

BubbleFett42079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I am sorry for your loss. I would have recommended using Cipro on the nemo, but I fear that I am too late.

Hopefully you will be able to try out another nem inside of the tank.

Good luck.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 106 43.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 116 47.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.0%
Back