Anemone and Compatible Corals

BlackiceClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone :)

I have a new tank that is still in its early setup and cycling. I'm planning on adding a bubble tip anemone after about 5-7 months but I wanted to get some soft corals in the following months. I'm just wondering what kind of corals I can keep with an anemone and what the best options are. I 100% want an anemone but I know that I need to wait for the tank to stabilize.

Can I keep Hammer corals and Alveopora with Bubble tips or will they fight?

Thanks

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really I thought that was ideal. What do you think the best time is then?
I had read around 12 months. I got my first one at about 18 months but it died. Mind you I got it at a really bad time and there were lots of changes in the tank.

You need to wait until your corals are doing well, the uglies are over and especially dinos. They are said not to do well with dinos.

OP
OP
BlackiceClowns

BlackiceClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had read around 12 months. I got my first one at about 18 months but it died. Mind you I got it at a really bad time and there were lots of changes in the tank.

You need to wait until your corals are doing well, the uglies are over and especially dinos. They are said not to do well with dinos.
Yeah, my Dino stage hasn't even begun yet. That's how new the tank is. I might just see how the tank is doing after 6 months and decide then if it's worth it. Just back to my other question do you think I could keep torch or hammer corals with a BTA Nem or do you think the sweeper tentacles would fight.

OP
OP
BlackiceClowns

BlackiceClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several bubble tips, long tentacles, rock flowers, and mini carpets with zoas, hammers, torches, Duncan’s, mushrooms, Xenia etc in my 60 gal cube and have zero issues
Awesome thanks. Good to know that it is possible. Worst comes to it ill just move one or the other.

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I could just be lucky but it’s very rare my nems ever move. I’ve had it this way for several years and never had an issue even with upgrading the tank a few times
I would love to see a picture of your tank.

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my Dino stage hasn't even begun yet. That's how new the tank is. I might just see how the tank is doing after 6 months and decide then if it's worth it. Just back to my other question do you think I could keep torch or hammer corals with a BTA Nem or do you think the sweeper tentacles would fight.
Hopefully your dino stage never starts! Diatoms yes- natural part of tank maturation. Dinos should only show up if you let your nutrients bottom out and then you have a whole different issue on your hands!

I added nems around the 6 month mark (which admittedly is early)- that said they are doing great and my rainbow BTA actually already split. The key is not necessarily time but how consistent and stable your parameters are, which obviously comes with time but may vary from tank to tank.

I am unaware of any coral that is "compatible" with nems. They are bulldozers and will sting anything they touch, and will inevitably move someplace you don't want them to lol. They are awesome but be prepared to look in your tank every now and then and just yell "NO! Why?! BAD ANEMONE!"

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you mix a supernova anemone with Colorado anemone? Thanks
This picture says you can. I am still looking for an exact answer though.

Attachments

• IMG_20230518_235734_148.jpg
    IMG_20230518_235734_148.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 50

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back