anemone and tangs?

skrivan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize if this has been covered, but im not very good at following forums. Anyway, hreis my question:
About 2 weeks ago I added what I believe is a rose-bubble-tipped-anemone to my reef. I had a powder-blue tang and a kole tang long with 3 blue damsels that were suddenly dead the next day. I found the tang bodies, but have never seen the damsels remains.

Is it a co-incidence on the timing or can the RBTA actually do in 2 large tangs and eat 3 damsels? I have since removed the RBTA temporarily but I'd like to put it back in as ong as it wont kill my Purpl tang.....

thanks for any comments!

abinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....that's rather strange. I have a yellow tang and a rose bubble tip anemone in my tank for about 7 months and there hasn't been any problems between the 2.
(I actually feel bad at times for the anemone because I swear the 2 clown fish bug the heck out of the anemone, but it doesn't seem to mind.)

Allen

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big was/is the anemone?

I would say with 99.995% certainty that it was not the E. quadricolor.

OP
OP
skrivan

skrivan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks T-rex. I tend to agree but the kole and the PBT were pretty good and healthy; the damsels should be able to live thru anything. Possible that the Purple Tang did it? Or maybe the kole and PBT actually were infected somehow. It really makes me nervous. I do like the E and it is not huge by any measure. At most, 6 inches fully out.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any new additions to the tank?

How long have the 3 tangs been together?

What size tank?

OP
OP
skrivan

skrivan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tangs were pretty much all put in within about a week to 10 days of each other. PBT and Purple were together for at least a month at LFS, wet in first and together. The damsels had been in there for at least a month prior and after a 3 week QT. I did not QT the tangs but I wont make that error again. Everybody lives (lived) in 200 gallons (7 feet long, 20" wide and 28" deep). Plus I have 75 gallon sump. Lots of caves in the DT rock. Tank has only been really running for about 4 months though. Interestingly, the Purple Tang looks fantastic. Not one whitespot at all and it's really digging the space im sure. There are 4 chromis (1 inch) with it, and also a medium sized Cardinal. Assorted corals...mosty LPS. 4 cleaner shrimp too. thansk for comments.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude I'm scratching my head. Check all water parameters. Start with an ammonia test. Run some carbon in that tank if your already not doing so. if you suspect a Parasite you could also run a filter sock. change it every day and bleach the used ones and rinse and dry before using again. They may help trap free swimming parasites. I would also pick up some New Life Spectrum Thera a pellets. These can help the fish fight parasites. My money is on Ammonia or a toxin from the new anemone.

Piranha76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in a LTA in my tank and I lost two yellow tangs and a powder blue. I believe he stung them because all were super healthy swimming eating and not being bullied by anyone. When I took each out they had new sores on one side of their bodies. It didn’t happen once. It happened over months. My LTA when expanded is the size of an orange.

Back