Anemone and Zoas not Opening up

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Fellow Reefers,

I need help! I have a 16 galling Biocube and my LTA, BTA and frag Zoas have not been opening up and my water parameters are good. At first I thought it was lightening as I had them low due to algae but now I have kicked them back up slowly and still nothing. Not sure if it’s not adequate water flow as I removed my circulation pump due to too much flow.

What can be the problem? I’m feel bad for them and been frustrated not able to figure it out.

79B22C5E-D5BB-4B2F-8C35-32DE7B28E4B2.jpeg

OP
OP
L

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so what do you have for flow? Flow is very important
I had a Hydro Koralia 240 Nana Circulation Pump (for 10-15 gallon) but removed it so right the only circulation is coming from the return pump of the tank. My LTA was constantly being taken around the tank non stop so felt it was way to much and removed it. The LTA finally found a place an dug itself under the aquascape.

Do I need to have one for a circulation pump for 16 gallon tank?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Age of tank and current parameters? I don't think flow is the issue.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Hydro Koralia 240 Nana Circulation Pump (for 10-15 gallon) but removed it so right the only circulation is coming from the return pump of the tank. My LTA was constantly being taken around the tank non stop so felt it was way to much and removed it. The LTA finally found a place an dug itself under the aquascape.

Do I need to have one for a circulation pump for 16 gallon tank?
Minimum flow should be no dead spots and surface agitation. High end should be just before sand starts blowing around.

OP
OP
L

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minimum flow should be no dead spots and surface agitation. High end should be just before sand starts blowing around.
I just added back the pump to see if that makes a difference.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I took a quick look through your other posts. Seems like your tank is 5 months old. Is that the same long tentacle anemone you posted about back in October?

Might be too young of a tank and "parameters are good" is really only a self reassuring statement. Parameters have a large range of variation based on what reefers are running for filtration, feeding, salt mixes, etc. Posting your salinity, mag, calcium, nitrates, phosphates, alkalinity, and if you have it ph could all be helpful for others to provide you input on what to change/adjust/do.

OP
OP
L

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Age of tank and current parameters? I don't think flow is the issue.
6 months old...The only biggest change was that I switch from Instant Ocean (Orange) to Red Sea Salt. That was only a 20% water change that I did last weekend (I change it every two weeks). Parameters was all good:

ALK 8.8
PH 8.1
PHOS 0.25 (currently have ROWA Phos)
CA 420
MG 1448
AMMO 0.1
NITRITE 0.0
NITRATE 21 (adding NOPOX dosing)

OP
OP
L

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from a post in 2021, but a quick Google search on my side came up with lots of stories where anemone don't seem to like NoPox
That's interesting! I will stop NOPOX and see how it goes...I did notice a lot of lose organic material start flying around when the circulation pump was turned on which now I believe can be the leading cause to why my PHOS/NITRATES might be slightly increased. Maybe I don't need NOPOX after all.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That's interesting! I will stop NOPOX and see how it goes...I did notice a lot of lose organic material start flying around when the circulation pump was turned on which now I believe can be the leading cause to why my PHOS/NITRATES might be slightly increased. Maybe I don't need NOPOX after all.

Other than nuisance algae, your nitrates aren't in a terrible place. I'd definitely work on lowering your phosphates though. Rest of the parameters look good and as some one else mentioned, flow is probably needed.

Back