Anemone bacterial infections/ need help asap

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I’ve had 4 BTAs now for the last 3 months, and 2 now have withered away. 3/4 were rainbow, the other was a green BTA. I got my original green in March after 3 months, and my next 3 in lateish April.

My green started expelling zoox (or some other brown stuff) occasionally after eating, then more frequently, and would often be shrivelled up with a gaping mouth, wandering around the tank for a few weeks until it fell of the rock when I touched its foot gently.

This same process happened with the first of my rainbow BTAs, I never noticed the brown expelling, but it did slowly stop inflating, then would wander constantly with a gaping mouth, before dropping off the rock when I gently poked it.

The green nem began this behaviour just before I added the red ones, and passed in late April. Early July this process begun with the rainbow, before it died today. I’m beginning to suspect if this is chance, or an infection? I have a small mini maxi which is doing fine (recently added), and two Borneman mini nems, added in late March. All are doing incredibly.

My last two BTAs are doing average, aren’t as inflated, and the smaller of the two is showing signs of sickness. The smaller hasn’t opened in a few days, and is walking a little at the moment:(

Could this be a case of chemical warfare? Or a nem infection? I don’t have the room for a hospital tank. My only idea is to ride it out and see what happens, and if they all die, leave BTAs out for a while, then try again (a self imposed BTA fallow)

Tank is 7.5 months old, po4: 0.07-0.1, no3: 10-12

IMG_7797.jpeg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What food do you use to feed your anemone? If they get worst after eating then often it is spoiled food.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What food do you use to feed your anemone? If they get worst after eating then often it is spoiled food.
Just mysis and they get whatever the clowns eat and drop usually, and the mysis isn’t spoiled either

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems too sequential for it to be food which is my worry

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think it is chemical war use some carbon. And if you are feeding them only once a week I use mysis. A lot of people don’t feed them at all they get the most of there energy from your lights . What lights are you using . Also I take it that your tank is all BTA or have you got mixed anemones .

Last edited:
OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think it is chemical war use some carbon. And if you are feeding them only once a week I use mysis. A lot of people don’t feed them at all they get the most of there energy from your lights . What lights are you using . Also I take it that your tank is all BTA or have you got mixed anemones .
Yeah I run 2x the recommended carbon ant. I meet them once a week, just a lil extra nutrients for em. I use an AI prime 16HD, soft coral dominant tank with a few mixed nems

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I run 2x the recommended carbon ant. I meet them once a week, just a lil extra nutrients for em. I use an AI prime 16HD, soft coral dominant tank with a few mixed nems
Mixed nems definitely got to watch out for chemical war with them . I only keep the same species of anemones together in each of my tanks . How is the nem looking today. You could try a poly filter pad that removes all sorts from the water. Also soft corals have you any close to the nems toad stools ect

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed nems definitely got to watch out for chemical war with them . I only keep the same species of anemones together in each of my tanks . How is the nem looking today. You could try a poly filter pad that removes all sorts from the water. Also soft corals have you any close to the nems toad stools ect
A little better today, I was at work so I didn’t get a good look, I’ll check tomorrow. Gonna refresh my carbon and do a wc, so will see what happens I guess. I have a xenia nestled near the nems, and some zoa colonies close, but about 5 inches away from the nems. The xenia is much closer, maybe two inches?

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Older pics, but you can see where the green BTA was in the first pic, under the xenia, and in the sceond, how close the nems get to the xenia again

Attachments

• IMG_3966.jpeg
    IMG_3966.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4620.jpeg
    IMG_4620.jpeg
    215.8 KB · Views: 30

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back