Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any additional thoughts on the compatibility of a Chicago Sunburst (one) with rainbow bta’s (several) in an 30 gallon? I was noticing what I think was contact fighting, and last Friday (a week ago) separated the nems. The Chicago is on its own rock a good distance from the others. The Chicago deflates for several hours just about when the light comes on. I believe I see your spaghetti reference, but not sure about the “paralyzed” reference. In the latter each night and in the morning the Chicago appears normal so far.
Due to a weeks time passing since physically separating the Rainbow Bta’s from the Chicago and latter continuing to close up during the lighting period, last night around 8:00pm i decided to move the Chicago to my other tank. Low and behold, initially the Chicago was not happy, but today it is largely inflated (15 hours after move) during the lighting period, which is a great sign. @ClownWrangler, I believe my experience here furthers your conclusion that even though the nems are physically separated, some type of hostility remained in my tank where both nems were kept.

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a CC Supernova and a GBTA in the same 40G tank, about one feet apart. It has been about two months.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from the lfs bubble tips, condys,rocks all in the same tank

20160407_124021.jpg
That does not mean the are compatable at all. They hopefully will only be that way short term. I can not imaging how they will due long term. The BTAs do not look so great to me either.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate you burst your bubble, but if this spreadsheet is based on anecdotal evidence then it doesn't hold much weight, nor does it serve a good purpose. Frankly, it spreads more misinformation than anything else. There are quite a few different criteria, aside from simply the species, that determine whether or not anemones can live with one another in the same tank.

An many of the posts in this thread have already pointed out, there are always going to be exceptions to what's stated in the spreadsheet (I have quite a few that I can mention as well), and that in itself limits its usefulness. For example:
  1. A quick glance at the chart makes the assumption that anemones of the same species can live together. If this is not the assumption, then the check mark where the same species currently intersect should be removed. Species that reproduce via cloning (BTA and to a lesser extent, magnifica) oftentimes live together in large colonies. However, it is also believed that that are solitary forms of these same species that live alone (and tend to get larger than their colonial counterparts) and don't like being next to one another. However, they can still be in the same tank.

2. The size of the tank and type of filtration used can oftentimes mitigate the effects of allelopathy, if it even exists. You will find that in larger tanks, anemones of all species can be mixed together with long term success. The CA Academy of Sciences has a tank that houses gigantea, magnfica, and BTAs -- albiet in a tank that's 212,000 gallons.

3. In terms of success, how do we measure it? How long must these anemones live together -- and thrive -- to conclude that they are, or are not compatible?

4. Assuming that one anemone dies, how do we conclude that is was directly caused by another anemone, and therefore considered not compatible?
I applaud the effort taken to create the spreadsheet. But it can't be based on one or two hobbyists reporting what's happening in their tanks. People will look at the spreadsheet and take it for fact. I see the asterisk at the bottom, but that should really be at the top and be a clear caveat.
I agee 100%. I think the chart is a disservice, as it is way to anecdotal. Without know in how long the listed anemones have even been togeather makes the date useless. Just because you see some different anemones in a Lfs together in no way means they are compatable.
I found out the hard that mixing different BTAs can be a problem. I had 2 variants and many cloans of each for many years, some up to 14" across. I made the mistake of adding a third color variation and both the other 2 color morphs went down hill over time, while the new one multiplied like crazy. The originall BTAs slowly got smaller and smaller and there numbers decreased over time to the point I had none left of my green and purple BTAs and just a few RoseBTAs. This happened over many months.

Last edited:

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I assume the blank interactions haven’t been tested yet? I am putting together an anemone tank and want a lot of variety. Thinking about mixing BTAs, Sebae, and Condy. Any advice or thoughts on including the Sebae in that mix?

Henk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My haddoni and gigantea touch from time to time. no observed ill effects. Chart says "can't touch"... they can though.

gig and haddoni.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think this chart have any sciences or experiences to back it up. It credit me as a source but I do not have any input or endorse it at all.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 LTA’s a carpet and a sebae all in a 200gal …
I’m just reporting my own sample, and not endorsing this will always work (or not)
…. fwiw I’m not certain any “compatibility list” ( given the plethora of variable) will serve a useful purpose without loads of sample data

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back