Anemone decisions

Nanoreef523

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank has been up and running for about 4 & 1/2 weeks. I have a fancy snowflake ocellaris clown and was wondering what type of anemone would be best her. Also when I should get the anemone.
Thanks- Colin

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank?
What lights do you have?

How long have you been in the hobby?
Have you ever kept an anemone before this planned one?

OP
OP
Nanoreef523

Nanoreef523

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank?
What lights do you have?

How long have you been in the hobby?
Have you ever kept an anemone before this planned one?
The tank is a 24 gallon nano cube with stock lighting. This is my first saltwater tank, but have had many freshwater tanks before.(big difference though) never had an anemone just wondering if it's really worth it or it will create problems later on.

StevenBell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what type of lights they rock in those cubes nowadays, but if the light is in anyway not strong enough or flow is not ideal,you are going to have issues.If lights and flow are good to go I would look at a bubble tip nem.Most clowns will readily host them

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you plan on replacing the lights I honestly would advise against it.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to add, take time and get used to running your tank before you try diving into anemones. A Nem is probably the most difficult thing you can put in your tank and not worth trying if you're fresh off the beach, into the hobby IMO.

zgetman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to add this. Check out this video...

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wants to add this:

anemone-9zm.jpg

Should be worrying about things like this:
nassariusSnail2.jpg

Not trying to be rude, but keeping a Nem requires a ton of experience and a little bit of luck. You need to look at your nem every day and understand what it is trying to tell you. Yes, they can talk. Here's a few commonly heard Nem quotes:

"It's too bright in here."

"Why am I not on the rocks/sand?"

"TURN THAT FAN OFFF!!!!"

Learn this skill with some other things first then try moving to Nems. Read through the forum a bit and read about nems online. Look at the problems people have and look at how they are solved. Learn what the actual requirements are for keeping what you want vs what you actually have. Learn about treatments and what meds to have on hand.Learn why your lights aren't actually sufficient and what lights would be and why. Have a QT/Hospital tank?...etc.

I can go on for days here, but honestly if you get a Nem and put it in your tank in the next few days you'll be back here withing a few months asking for help because it's dead/dying/sick...etc.

OP
OP
Nanoreef523

Nanoreef523

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll pass on the nem for now. Lol thanks for warning me

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back