anemone dying?

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, totally new to this hobby and have a concern. I have a bio cube 32 and added my first anemone a week ago. The tank is simple. just a small clown and diamond gobby, plus CUC and a cleaner shrimp. The tank is newer but was started with 15 year old rock that was thriving and it completely cycled in 72 hours. T was two months ago. All parameters seems in line with actually 0 amn, nit, nat. green, purple and brown algae present and in control.

The first few days the anemone looked amazing but tended to move to lower areas and under overhangs. The last three days, he's completely upside down under a rock and has not shown his tentacles for three days. he's seems still attached well, I fed a little reef rods and no change at all. Interesting enough, my one very small coral frag (added a month ago) seemed to shrink up completely the same day and has come back out at all. They were never close to each other. any advise? I can't get the the bubble anemone to look into its mouth.

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, totally new to this hobby and have a concern. I have a bio cube 32 and added my first anemone a week ago. The tank is simple. just a small clown and diamond gobby, plus CUC and a cleaner shrimp. The tank is newer but was started with 15 year old rock that was thriving and it completely cycled in 72 hours. T was two months ago. All parameters seems in line with actually 0 amn, nit, nat. green, purple and brown algae present and in control.

The first few days the anemone looked amazing but tended to move to lower areas and under overhangs. The last three days, he's completely upside down under a rock and has not shown his tentacles for three days. he's seems still attached well, I fed a little reef rods and no change at all. Interesting enough, my one very small coral frag (added a month ago) seemed to shrink up completely the same day and has come back out at all. They were never close to each other. any advise? I can't get the the bubble anemone to look into its mouth.
What kind of lights? Water parameters? Etc...

Your tank is probably not mature enough, your lights may be too strong / too dim, your water chemistry may be off...

Sorry for your troubles, keep researching and you’ll find the answer.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you used mature rock, then maturity isn't an issue. What is your nitrate, alk and phosphate? What lights? Don't try and move or feed it until it settles on its own.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lights? Water parameters? Etc...

Your tank is probably not mature enough, your lights may be too strong / too dim, your water chemistry may be off...

Sorry for your troubles, keep researching and you’ll find the answer.
Thanks for replying so fast.

Sg 1.0245
Ph: 8.3
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

light is stock bio cube on 8 hour cycle
I know it’s early to try one for a general rule but I thought I’d take my chances. I just got a look at him finally and he’s still completely upside down and hiding from all light but he’s half open. The coral on the other hand is showing no signs of life at all. First pic is coral for a month until the anemone was added and started hiding. Second is the coral now. Third is the bubble at bottom of the tank upside down hiding from any light at all.

Attachments

• 475E3F8B-9135-419F-9F0E-8D4FCE02DB70.jpeg
    475E3F8B-9135-419F-9F0E-8D4FCE02DB70.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 8B142A03-6302-4C9D-A2D0-156FDB079D68.jpeg
    8B142A03-6302-4C9D-A2D0-156FDB079D68.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 26A413DE-D6DE-461B-92E3-569E93AE3C63.jpeg
    26A413DE-D6DE-461B-92E3-569E93AE3C63.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 80
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for replying so fast.

Sg 1.0245
Ph: 8.3
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

light is stock bio cube on 8 hour cycle
I know it’s early to try one for a general rule but I thought I’d take my chances. I just got a look at him finally and he’s still completely upside down and hiding from all light but he’s half open. The coral on the other hand is showing no signs of life at all. First pic is coral for a month until the anemone was added and started hiding. Second is the coral now. Third is the bubble at bottom of the tank upside down hiding from any light at all.
Btw. I don’t have a way to read phos yet but I’m ordering today.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw. I don’t have a way to read phos yet but I’m ordering today.
Running a UV, skimmer, water temp 78.3. Water quality is great. All algae’s present but not going crazy. The rock is really really mature and why I took the risk.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate being zero is an issue. My nems like it best around 10 or so. Stock lighting may or may not be enough but isn't your current issue. I would increase the nitrates and give it some time. That anemone you have looks bleached already. Which means you're starting with an uphill battle. Your duncan is likely suffering from the same issue. No nitrate means no food.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you take a full tank shot in white light for me?

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other important test you are missing is alkalinity.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate being zero is an issue. My nems like it best around 10 or so. Stock lighting may or may not be enough but isn't your current issue. I would increase the nitrates and give it some time. That anemone you have looks bleached already. Which means you're starting with an uphill battle. Your duncan is likely suffering from the same issue. No nitrate means no food.

okay thank you. I was spot feeding with roids and shrimp until I could get it up a bit. Just read right now and it’s at 2.5ppm. Taking a pic for you now. Have to reset lighting schedule to do so. Standby and thank you so much for all the advise everyone.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you take a full tank shot in white light for me?
Here’s the white light look. Second image is hard to see but it’s where the anemone is hiding upside down.

Attachments

• 73B4641A-ED51-4144-86D7-0B368BD717E8.jpeg
    73B4641A-ED51-4144-86D7-0B368BD717E8.jpeg
    371.9 KB · Views: 64
  • E4D4CD94-1D50-4C72-9130-E0429031C8E5.jpeg
    E4D4CD94-1D50-4C72-9130-E0429031C8E5.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the white light look. Second image is hard to see but it’s where the anemone is hiding upside down.
Come to think of it, my turbo snails are usually all over the place and I haven’t seen any of the four move in two days.

Attachments

• 593B4FF9-9070-4910-A25D-98C0189FB15B.jpeg
    593B4FF9-9070-4910-A25D-98C0189FB15B.jpeg
    362.7 KB · Views: 62
Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely wouldn't recommend going in there after it. Unless you notice it deteriorating the best you can do is leave it be. Mine have hid for a week straight at times and are fine. Get your nitrates up around 10 and then keep it stable around there. Get a good set of test kits like salifert if you haven't yet. Alk, nitrate, phosphate, calcium, magnesium and Ph are the usual required ones for coral. With it being bleached and your first attempt it's going to be rough. Check forums on here or other local reefers for coral/anemone. Better prices and health.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other good thing to have if you want to keep anemone is a hospital tank and having cipro on hand. In the event nems have issues a lot of times can save them.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R BTW!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely wouldn't recommend going in there after it. Unless you notice it deteriorating the best you can do is leave it be. Mine have hid for a week straight at times and are fine. Get your nitrates up around 10 and then keep it stable around there. Get a good set of test kits like salifert if you haven't yet. Alk, nitrate, phosphate, calcium, magnesium and Ph are the usual required ones for coral. With it being bleached and your first attempt it's going to be rough. Check forums on here or other local reefers for coral/anemone. Better prices and health.

I can’t thank you enough and I’m using junk test kits so I’ll invest in your recommendation. Honestly I didn’t know he was bleached or I wouldn’t have got him, he was that color when I bought him.

any advise on the coral? Pics above of how healthy he was for over a month and then just disappeared 4 days ago never to see any life since.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t thank you enough and I’m using junk test kits so I’ll invest in your recommendation. Honestly I didn’t know he was bleached or I wouldn’t have got him, he was that color when I bought him.

any advise on the coral? Pics above of how healthy he was for over a month and then just disappeared 4 days ago never to see any life since.
Hard to see because the after is a blue pic. However if all that is left is the hard skeleton then its probably had polyp bail out. Coral in new tanks is rough. You said the rock is 15 years old but doesn't look it. Usually rocks aren't white after a few months. I would hold off on any other coral until you get the mentioned tests. Once you do posts the results on this forum. Plenty of people on here can help you with parameters and means to correct them. The key is to get those 6 parameters into acceptable ranges and then keep them steady. Newer tanks have issues keeping coral because nothing is steady.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to see because the after is a blue pic. However if all that is left is the hard skeleton then its probably had polyp bail out. Coral in new tanks is rough. You said the rock is 15 years old but doesn't look it. Usually rocks aren't white after a few months. I would hold off on any other coral until you get the mentioned tests. Once you do posts the results on this forum. Plenty of people on here can help you with parameters and means to correct them. The key is to get those 6 parameters into acceptable ranges and then keep them steady. Newer tanks have issues keeping coral because nothing is steady.

Will do. Thank you for your time and knowledge.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the stock lighting for a bio cube sufficient for an anemone or LPS?
I'm not sure. However I don't think it's the root cause. Anemone would be reaching for light. Not hiding.

Upvote 0
Back