View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I m wondering if the behavior of my anemone (Entacmea quadricolor) is normal:
- in the morning she is super flabby, not straight ;Singing;Sorry
- in the afternoon, well deployed

She is under an AI Prime 32 HD with BRS recommended setup, she decided and moved where she is now (right behind the decor so i cant see her :D)

The parameters are fine, the tank is 30 gallons and is ~6 months old

Thanks for your opinions
Jonathan

MThorne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anenome are photosynthetic so the light hitting them starts the energy production process. They will bubble up to protect the mouth from getting too much light. Long extended sweeping tentacles means its hungry. Curly (corkscrew) tentacles means its aggressive and doesn't like something near it.

OP
OP
J

Joreef92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that s good to know ! thanks

But where I am worried is that the light start graually at 9am and at 1pm, she looks like this :

IMG_5571.jpg

OP
OP
J

Joreef92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I think i was right to worry ... I found here on the floor and decided to help putting her in an acropora spot, just below the light :

IMG_5586.jpg

But there is a hole so she went through it :

IMG_5590.jpg

But as you can see, she doesnt look good :

IMG_5591.jpg

I tried to put her on another spot, with a deep cleft where she could protect her foot. but during this night she went on the floor ..

I dont know what can be wrong, i have several hyp :
1) My wurdemanni are attacking her
2) My flow is too strong everywhere in the tank
3) I m dosing reef energy plus and she doesnt like it
4) My light is too strong

If someone has an idea, it s more than welcome :)

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s normal. Let it be, they’ll move wherever they want. Don’t try to move it yourself because you risk damaging it. Give it time and it’ll settle out (maybe not where you want.). My whites cut off an hour before my blues. My nem closes up about 15 min or so before the whites cut off. Yours seems to just be doing what they do.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should leave it alone. When unhappy with their location, Nems will move to a new spot in the tank.

The expansion and contraction is normal behavior in my experience. As morning approaches, my Nems will slowly inflate as my lights ramp up. Midway through the light cycle, they are fully inflated and then will deflate as the lights go down.

This cycle of inflating and deflating is how they excrete waste.

What are your latest water parameters?

What are your tank temperature, salinity, pH and Alkalinity?

OP
OP
J

Joreef92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply, so you dont think any of my hyp is plausible?

I was leaving her alone until i noticed that she wasnt expanding anymore and was not stuck to anything, leaving a risk that she could go in the pump..

But Ok, if despite that she is not expanding anymore, you think I shoudnt do anything, I will let it be.

Parameters are fine :
Nitrite : 0
Nitrate : 5-10
Phosphate : 0
Temperature : 25
Salinity : 1023
Calcium : 440

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new and inexperienced so take this fwiw but could it have anything to do with the system only being 6 months old? My husband loves men’s but we were told they don’t do well in newer tanks. Just a thought. Reading this thread just because my husband can’t wait to get one but we are waiting.

badluckman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm inexperienced as well, but I have a RBTA that's on the move right now though it doesn't deflate like yours. Seems nems really have special personalities.

I'd still let it roam and find a comfy spot instead of moving it though, especially since it seems a little stressed in my opinion.

Attached a video of it scooting around on the rocks.

Anenome are photosynthetic so the light hitting them starts the energy production process. They will bubble up to protect the mouth from getting too much light. Long extended sweeping tentacles means its hungry. Curly (corkscrew) tentacles means its aggressive and doesn't like something near it.

That's really good to know! I've seen curly tentacles once on mine when I was setting up a new pump and flow. Looked like those tiny dreadlocks teenagers have now ;Woot

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your anemone is sick. It deflates when it try to get rid of "bad stuff" inside it. Usually this is infection. Deflation is a way anemone use to fight infection, like our body use diarrhea and vomiting to get rid of infection in our gut.
BTA are hardy, sometime, they can recover. However, you may want to take him out and treat him with antibiotic.
I wrote about how to do this in 2013 here:

@Amoo rewrite it in R2R here:
Good luck

OP
OP
J

Joreef92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding her?

I tried with mussels and tuna but she didnt grab anything

I am new and inexperienced so take this fwiw but could it have anything to do with the system only being 6 months old? My husband loves men’s but we were told they don’t do well in newer tanks. Just a thought. Reading this thread just because my husband can’t wait to get one but we are waiting.

It s possible, i have read that as well but without understanding the rational of it ..

I'm inexperienced as well, but I have a RBTA that's on the move right now though it doesn't deflate like yours. Seems nems really have special personalities.

I'd still let it roam and find a comfy spot instead of moving it though, especially since it seems a little stressed in my opinion.

I have the feeling that she is deflating a lot more now than few days before... getting worse and worse IMO so that s why i m trying to see what could be best ..

Plus I m in Paris which means when i m posting at this time, the light is on since few hours already ..

now it s 1 PM for instance :

IMG_5597.jpg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't feed her. Let her do her thing.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back