Anemone help

tdbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have been dealing with a sick anemone for a long time and cannot figure out what the problem is. I originally bought one four months ago and had it split two days after adding it to the tank. They ended up doing fine until about a month ago where I noticed their mouths would open up and it looked like they were drying but would return back to normal in a few hours. This has been happening every other day for the past month and I cannot seem to figure out the problem. I also have a red bubble tip anemone along with a rock flower anemone. My parameters are
nit-.5ppm
pho’s-1.0 ppm
Alk-8.4 dkh
I attached a picture below if anyone has any ideas what could be wrong please let me know
image.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one like this right now and it was due to two of them fighting over the same real estate (ironically, the victor ended up moving and the loser is a shadow of its former self). Being excessively harassed by clownfish when they're not going great can also cause them to shrivel up like this.

In the past I tried moving them but it didn't really make much difference as they ended up eventually perishing (when they get to the point where you can easily remove them from the rocks the prospects for recovery aren't great), so other than checking your water parameters (per @PeterC99) and ensuring they have enough lighting - there's not a lot you can do. You can try some supplemental feeding like Reef Roids, etc. in very small amounts (that may help).

OP
OP
T

tdbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First - Welcome to R2R!

Second - Have the parameters been stable for the last 4 months?

01ECD93D-7B63-4A22-A2DC-72FD5FCDA7D2.gif
01ECD93D-7B63-4A22-A2DC-72FD5FCDA7D2.gif
Thank you!
Yes they have been like this for a while, the anemones were never doing great in my tank, they split and then it looked like they never fully recovered. One of the two that split died two days ago which is why I started this thread.

OP
OP
T

tdbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D5E34F10-F76D-47E9-B9F6-4FB74002FE84.jpeg
F5E4880A-C534-4B7F-B571-9118F6C5DF5A.jpeg

I just attached two images of the tank and how the anemone looks currently, it had been fine the past two days but now looks like it is dying, I tested the parameters and they were the same as previously, if anyone has any suggestions please share them!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back