Best anemone for beginners

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most likely he is a beginner would be better to have a mature tank than not.
Certainly agreed on maturity but not governed by a set time. Some tanks may still go through two ugly stages, N&P bottoming out, and various other factors to maintain Alk/Ca/Mg.

I would be interested in seeing good stable parameters vs waiting for “6 months”.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking a bta do you that would work I have a good amount of flow
Sounds like you’re already settled on RBTA so go for it! Like others said, they will likely split and you’ll end up with a bigger tank - congrats! Keep in mind that you nay not keep other corals (like SPS) since nems do move and sting other corals.

Flow: they don’t need a lot of flow but if you do have wavemakers, make sure to get “nem guards” — don’t want to shred them. Again, they move if they don’t like flow or light.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly agreed on maturity but not governed by a set time. Some tanks may still go through two ugly stages, N&P bottoming out, and various other factors to maintain Alk/Ca/Mg.

I would be interested in seeing good stable parameters vs waiting for “6 months”.
1702989269890.gif

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you’re already settled on RBTA so go for it! Like others said, they will likely split and you’ll end up with a bigger tank - congrats! Keep in mind that you nay not keep other corals (like SPS) since nems do move and sting other corals.

Flow: they don’t need a lot of flow but if you do have wavemakers, make sure to get “nem guards” — don’t want to shred them. Again, they move if they don’t like flow or light.
Agree, mostly. I had a friend print out custom guards for my Nero pumps. As far as other corals, I’ve never had a problem but your experience may differ. And I keep lots of coral. The other option if you’re concerned is to keep the nem in a box or try one of those cups they make to try to keep the nem in and comfortable.

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

the tank is probably only gonna be anemones other then I’m gonna add some gsp just for some other coral and to test how it does before adding a bta I really hope it splits. for the wave maker guard can i make my own guard out of sponge or have to buy it
thanks

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bubble tips are pretty darn hardy … as for flow, you need flow it just doesn’t need to be strong
IME the hardiest nems are condys, rock/flower, sebae and bta’s
I have a good amount of flow is more dependent on flow then lighting

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, mostly. I had a friend print out custom guards for my Nero pumps. As far as other corals, I’ve never had a problem but your experience may differ. And I keep lots of coral. The other option if you’re concerned is to keep the nem in a box or try one of those cups they make to try to keep the nem in and comfortable.
If you keep mostly softies, you’re fine. Nems will sting & kill SPS unless sectioned off since they can split / move at night. OP’s tank is small and doesn’t keep carpets but mine move a lot! My RBTAs also move.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep mostly softies, you’re fine. Nems will sting & kill SPS unless sectioned off since they can split / move at night. OP’s tank is small and doesn’t keep carpets but mine move a lot! My RBTAs also move.
What is the situation with LPS?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I work out if it is a split one do I just have to ask them or do they sell them differently
Buy from a good source, do loads of research till you trust the seller, don’t ask questions until you trust them then you can trust the answers. Pay a little more if needed.

Being in Australia there is a good chance you could be sold a nem straight from the sea, which is probably not the best option.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that some BTA's will split more frequently than others and stay smaller. Others will rarely split and can get larger than a dinner plate. If it is a long aquacultured lineage, this information may be known.

jmmicho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon with 2 maroon clowns. The female is probably 3 inches or so (probably too large for the tank, i know), and the male is considerably smaller. I purchased a rose bubble tip ( about 4 inches in diameter when open) and within a day they were loving on the thing. Great to see, except they wouldn't leave it alone. I know maroons are notorious for being rough partners, but i'm trying to find a way around this. The anemone is effectively dead now, shriveled up in the corner. They would sleep on it and prevent it from moving around. How would ya'll go about getting one to survive in the tank? Purchasing a larger specimen is doable however they can be hard to come by much larger than what I found. Thanks for the advice!

Alex’s_Mini_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve have a Ultra Rainbow Bubble Tip Since Week 2 , Tank now in week 9 I’d say as other as long as your tank parameters have been stable and it’s a aquaculture Nem you will have great success.

isaacd147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I’ve been cycling my tank for 4 months and I’m thinking of making it an only anemone tank with clownfish what do you think is the best anemone for me to keep and do all anemones split
Rock flower anemones are great, but probably not what you're looking for if you want clownfish to host.

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that some BTA's will split more frequently than others and stay smaller. Others will rarely split and can get larger than a dinner plate. If it is a long aquacultured lineage, this information may be known.
so some of the BTA will split and some won’t and the ones that won’t will grow big

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back