OP
OP
Marcom12

Marcom12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the advice on waiting a bit for an anemone. I have heard many different recommendations for the time frame of getting them.... Some say a year, some say 6 months, some say they do just fine right after the cycle.
So doing the research is not always easy lol. My semi local fish store sold me this anemone and it seems to be doing great. I do wish I would have waited. I went there to get some clownfish and they sidetracked me by saying it might be easier to get anemone first and let it settle in, then get the clownfish.... And I went with it.

But like I said it seems to be doing great.

Last edited:

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The size of the anemones will also affect your ability to sleep.

While a bta going into a pump is no big deal most of the times (depending on the size of the tank) a big magnifica really is a liability.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most BTA's split after they reach about 20cms in diameter.

Most magníficas grow to 40-60cms.

If a BTA dies, most tanks survive.

If a magnifica dies, most tanks crash.

If I notice that my magnifica moves a little, I am afraid of going to sleep. There have been days where I set the alarm to go check on her in the middle of the night.

That being said, a clown in its natural host behaves very differently than in other anemone.

OP
OP
Marcom12

Marcom12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most BTA's split after they reach about 20cms in diameter.

Most magníficas grow to 40-60cms.

If a BTA dies, most tanks survive.

If a magnifica dies, most tanks crash.

If I notice that my magnifica moves a little, I am afraid of going to sleep. There have been days where I set the alarm to go check on her in the middle of the night.

That being said, a clown in its natural host behaves very differently than in other anemone.
Is the magnificas just more toxic? Or just because it's bigger?

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard one species being more toxic, any anemone going through a pump can fowl a tank.

Most of what we have seen is occs and percs that ignore BTA will typically rush straight to a natural host match, and NY caveman is correct on natural match species.

I would agree magnifica would be easier of the 3, and I don't think they are difficult to keep if you can get a healthy one, or if you are able to treat w/ cipro, as often they do need treatment for bacterial infections if they are not from an established tank.

I actually think mag is easier than BTA personally, for a mixed reef especially, as they tend to stay put if given proper conditions, and good lighting and high up perch is key.

Usually we advise 6 months minimum tank run time to achieve stability, as a general guideline.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was hosted by a power head for a year, Then they moved to the frogspawn for the past couple years... They don't go near my 10 BTA's

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took my bubble tip and my two oscellis clowns almost a year and a half to host then they did.
Then the next thing the clown did they decided to go back and forth between the anemone and the the three month old torch coral. But the majority of the time they will stay with the anemone and if I put my hand in the tank they will go after it

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two cinnamon clowns that wouldn't go near my anemone when I first got them. I read in a post (not this site) to print out a picture of clowns in a nem and tape it to the tank glass near the nem, picture side in of course, so the clowns can see what to do. They paired-up, within a week, I couldn't believe it.

To be clear, I agree with all the advice you've received so far. I'm just sharing a unique experience that seemed to "spark" the symbiotic relationship.

My theory (really, a total guess) is that my tank-bred clowns didn't lose the instinct, but they didn't grow up around an anemone, so they never saw this behavior with their own eyes. Showing them what to do wasn't so much of a departure from what our parents or elders show us. Sure if you never saw a fork you'd probably figure out eventually you could use it for eating, but when someone shows you when you're young, the use becomes natural when you're older (ok, maybe a bad example but it's all I could come up with while watching my kids sit down to dinner):)

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has nothing to do w/ tank bred, the instinct is still very much there and more than you guys may realize, they recognize the type of anemone they were found in the wild immediately, pretty much always.

Their instinct is so strong, they actually recognize what species of anemone they really belong in.

Many of you are giving them the wrong species of anemone, give them the right anemone and they will dive straight on in.

OP
OP
Marcom12

Marcom12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has nothing to do w/ tank bred, the instinct is still very much there and more than you guys may realize, they recognize the type of anemone they were found in the wild immediately, pretty much always.

Their instinct is so strong, they actually recognize what species of anemone they really belong in.

Many of you are giving them the wrong species of anemone, give them the right anemone and they will dive straight on in.
That is my plan, but have been told numerous times to wait.... So I think I will.

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to reiterate that I said I agreed with the previous comments, I was just sharing an experience.

I agree the instinct is strong, I said as much, and I agree that correct matching will likely work in all cases.

Not sure if my nem is a natural host for my clowns... maybe... probably. All I know is that they cowered in a corner until I put that picture up and then they finally went in. I don’t think there is any harm in trying this as the worst that can happen is nothing.

Again, I agree with almost everything that’s been said. And I know what I’m suggesting sounds silly, but it worked for me, though I acknowledge a single anecdote is FAR from science!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back