Anemone? ID

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. But the nudibranch passed away. They were untouched, sucked up in a turkey baster and flushed.
Ok noted. So that confirms it, what you have isnt Rose Hopkins but the GSP eating nudi (Phyllodesmium briareum).

OP
OP
F

Fennel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok noted. So that confirms it, what you have isnt Rose Hopkins but the GSP eating nudi (Phyllodesmium briareum).

Thank you. Well I was wrong on the type. They are attracted to red light, which is how I noticed them. There were three total. All flushed.

OP
OP
F

Fennel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah I think they might be invasive..

Ding, ding, ding! Correct. They got flushed down the crapper. Calicum in the tank must of been too high.. or sulfate from epsom salt. My guess is sulfate sensitive nudibranch.. as a parent, I refuse to keep any kind of nudibranch.. thank you.
(Virtual buzzer noise) nope it is not a rose nudibranch. My bad I told you wrong. Sorry. It's a
Phyllodesmium briareum.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Well I was wrong on the type. They are attracted to red light, which is how I noticed them. There were three total. All flushed.
I think I know why they were attracted. These nudis consume corals and incorporate the zooxanthellae into their own tissue hence making the nudis able to photosynthesise. If I am not wrong red light is quite conducive in growing algae which is why most refugium lights use the red spectrum.

OP
OP
F

Fennel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I know why they were attracted. These nudis consume corals and incorporate the zooxanthellae into their own tissue hence making the nudis able to photosynthesise. If I am not wrong red light is quite conducive in growing algae which is why most refugium lights use the red spectrum.
I have a light for coral coming. The red light turned out to be a great way to lure the nudibranch out. I wouldn't of known they were there had I not used it. I just got two new coral and didn't dip as the live rock the big one is on is really nice. The coral is starting to come out too. Idk if you can tell on this photo though. Pink and a green star polyp. Thank You so much for your help and teaching me what the nudibranch was. Yes red light is used for algae in refugium.

Attachments

• IMG_20210515_110717.jpg
    IMG_20210515_110717.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210515_110722.jpg
    IMG_20210515_110722.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 15

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back