Anemone in coral tank

wv-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. My first post. Been out of the hobby for 15 years but back now! What is the latest school of thought:
Can you put an anemone in the same tank as corals?
The thinking years ago was no due to their "walking". If you can, what type would you recommend?

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock flower anemones are less likely to walk around like the bubble tip or condy are. Plus, there are lots of cool color combos for rock flowers now

Mr. Bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Head of the Chesapeake, North East, Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock flower anemones are less likely to walk around like the bubble tip or condy are. Plus, there are lots of cool color combos for rock flowers now

Another is the Maxi-Mini Carpet. Bubble-Tips are more likely to stay in place if hosting clownfish.

Coral Newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a BTA 2 weeks ago and have a ton of corals. I dropped in him a spot that I though would be perfect he moved the 1st-2nd day got hidden in a rock corner I moved him to a 2nd spot and his been there ever since. He really likes it at his new spot and hasn't moved a inch since.

Shaddow_wolf169

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep 3 in my reef tank the small one actually touches my toadstool with no ill effects

Screenshot_2017-07-07-11-49-40.png

Screenshot_2017-07-07-11-50-34.png

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love to hate anemone's ,bubble tips walk and split. I wouldn't recommend unless you like moving your corals around and out of the way constantly.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can keep an anemone in coral tank, but the risk is still the same as it was 15 years ago. If you have much coveted zoanthids or sps then you might not want to take that risk.

Mr. Bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Head of the Chesapeake, North East, Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can keep an anemone in coral tank, but the risk is still the same as it was 15 years ago. If you have much coveted zoanthids or sps then you might not want to take that risk.

Mine seems fine. Been there almost 2 years. its split, walked etc no real issue.
IMG_1957.JPG

And that's the problem... they're unpredictable. One person may never have an issue, and someone else can lose hundreds of dollars in corals in one night to one that started wandering. As mentioned, it's still a risk. My very first nem was a Condy, and it never moved in the seven years I had that tank. Turns out, that was epic... Condys never sit still, not even in the wild.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that's the problem... they're unpredictable. One person may never have an issue, and someone else can lose hundreds of dollars in corals in one night to one that started wandering. As mentioned, it's still a risk.
All Reefing is a risk.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones are large corals that can move. They are happy, then they stay put and if they are unhappy then they will move. I keep a numbers of anemones in my tank.
The answer to your question is if you can keep them happy then they are OK. I order to keep your anemone happy, you need to know your anemone and set up your tank accordingly. They are not recommended for novice.

If you want to keep anemone, choose what kind, research on them and decide. Also it you have a tank running, choose the anemone species that would do well in your tank. Unhappy fish or coral mean a sick and dead fish and coral. Unhappy anemone , in addition to result in a dead anemone, it can also kill other animals in your tank.

Mopartech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added my nems before I added coral. I let them find their spot then added the corals around them. Doesn't mean they won't move later but this way you know they're in their spot at the start not hunting for a spot and damaging your corals if you added the corals first.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for 3 years a Rose and a Rainbow BTA. The rose split into two within the first 3 months and has stayed in about the same spot. It wanders about once a year but ends up back to his spot. The rainbow splits in 3 about once a year. The 2 offspring wander the tank until they find a spot or I remove them to give away. My clowns are hosted by my frogspawns , unfortunately they don't even know what an anemone is.

1stMarineTankDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All Reefing is a risk.
Does that mean you simply add more complexity and variables to embrace even more risk? That is a somewhat serious question as i was thinking of getting one to host a couple of clowns, but didn't know if there were a better coral alternative so that I do not introduce more things to track.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back