Anemone Inflate/Deflate. Getting concerned

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He does it in the evening and in the morning. My guess is he does have some kind of illness. I have heard stories of anemones fighting off these infections on their own. I’m hoping the light will help him out a tad
It could and it couldn’t. All nems are different, so just be ready if the time comes. Better to be prepared than to not be.

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: To my suprise he stayed somewhat happy all day! The lights are even dimming down now and he’s still looking the same as he was this morning. I’ll see how he looks tomorrow and give and update then too :)

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: Unfortunately, this morning he moved really low in the tank, hanging on to the rock by a thread. I cant tell if his mouth is open or not, it doesn’t appear open. I’ll wait it out some more :)

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throughout the day he has looked pretty good. This evening though, a few tentacles have shriveled up into wrinkly peas. Not sure what that means necessarily, but hopefully it’s not bad

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve
I’ve narrowed it down to 2 issues. It doesn’t seem to be a bacterial infection because he stopped deflating for the past few days. I think it’s something to do with my lights or my phosphates. I ordered a Ultra Low Range hanna checker off of BRS to check my phosphates. I’ll update in about a week or so

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve
I’ve narrowed it down to 2 issues. It doesn’t seem to be a bacterial infection because he stopped deflating for the past few days. I think it’s something to do with my lights or my phosphates. I ordered a Ultra Low Range hanna checker off of BRS to check my phosphates. I’ll update in about a week or so
Awesome. They also take time to settle, so whatever you do if you make any changes, do it slowly.

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve
The phosphate test came in at a whopping .61
I’m going to do some research on how to lower this, but I’m believing this is the root cause of my problems

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve
The phosphate test came in at a whopping .61
I’m going to do some research on how to lower this, but I’m believing this is the root cause of my problems
It can contribute to it, but some have kept nems in 1.0. Not gonna say any names, as they are on this forum.

It would be good to bring that number down. Water changes, gfo, and LC are all options. Either way, bring it down slowly.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can contribute to it, but some have kept nems in 1.0. Not gonna say any names, as they are on this forum.

It would be good to bring that number down. Water changes, gfo, and LC are all options. Either way, bring it down slowly.
Also, may want to carry water to an lfs, just to double check. Always good to double check when you have a high number on something.

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are looking grim. He let go of his rock today and i had to take rock out to find him. I put him back, shut off the pumps and hoping he will attach. He doesn’t smell so he’s not completely dead, but I wouldn’t be suprised if he passes within the next couple days

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are looking grim. He let go of his rock today and i had to take rock out to find him. I put him back, shut off the pumps and hoping he will attach. He doesn’t smell so he’s not completely dead, but I wouldn’t be suprised if he passes within the next couple days
Do you have any cipro on hand. if so you could always try to treat it following the sticky in the nem and clownfish section. What does it look like now. pic?

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any cipro on hand. if so you could always try to treat it following the sticky in the nem and clownfish section. What does it look like now. pic?
image.jpg

he’s about the size of a quarter
he fell off again, so i really ticked him off

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

he’s about the size of a quarter
he fell off again, so i really ticked him off
doenst look too bad, but doesnt look good either. It could have let go just to be able to walk, so to speak. The mouth still looks tight as well. I still say, let it be for now. If it was still spitting guts, then cirpo would be the best chance to save it.

Just watch for it losing tentacles, staying folded inside out and basically melting. That is when you need to be concerned about death.

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doenst look too bad, but doesnt look good either. It could have let go just to be able to walk, so to speak. The mouth still looks tight as well. I still say, let it be for now. If it was still spitting guts, then cirpo would be the best chance to save it.

Just watch for it losing tentacles, staying folded inside out and basically melting. That is when you need to be concerned about death.
I’ll update tomorrow or later tonight.

It’s such a weird case and I’m completely confused.

Thank you so so much for all of your help!!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back