Anemone Lighting

Ebisan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 1 Prime should be fine. Be sure to measure the PAR. My BTAs were thriving under 150 PAR under 2x 175W MHs over my 50g. The 120 clones from a single BTA did fine for 10 years until I switched to 2x Hydra 52HD. Unfortunately, I didn't measure the par until it was too late. At around 80%, I was cooking them, crashed the tank and lost all but 20 or so clones. I measured the PAR and found that at that setting it was over 350. Went back to my MH setup to recover and now I am running T5 hybrid with the old Hydras. The T5s provide most of the light, the Hydras are on only to supplement for color. PAR is back at 150 where the clones are thriving again.

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I got live sand and live rock and some water from another tank, would I cut the waiting time to add an anemone?
I know that it depends on stability, I have a ball anemone that is doing good in my nano.

If everything is stable for a few weeks, is it a good time to add the anemones?

Also, what is a good aio protein skimmer?
Tuner nano?

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24" x 24" space is not enough room long term...but go ahead...you go prove me wrong. Lots of people have tried it and lots of people have failed. Maybe you'll be the unicorn. :)

Huh? I keep a RBTA in a 29 gallon and it's more than enough space.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shhh...don't discourage them. I want to see how this plays out. ;)

I have a 29 gallon tank. I have a RBTA in it that has been in it since the tank was less than a month old. It has the anemone and 2 clownfish.

It's more than happy and spreads about 12 inches across during the dat.

Please stop giving people bad advice.

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it fails, ill just make it a normal reef tank. It I succeed, it will be the centerpiece of my living room.

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I got live sand and live rock and some water from another tank, would I cut the waiting time to add an anemone?
I know that it depends on stability, I have a ball anemone that is doing good in my nano.

If everything is stable for a few weeks, is it a good time to add the anemones?

Also, what is a good aio protein skimmer?
Tuner nano?

I have an anemone tank and put it in there with less than a month. Tank age is what people without a real answer respond with.

What you need is stability. Even though it was a new tank, it never had the "ugly" stages. Because I keep only the anemone and 2 clownfish in the tank. So the bioload is extremely low, and the biological filters have no trouble keeping up.

Now, if you are working on a tank that has many other things contributing to the bioload, then it takes longer for your bio to balance. Like I have a tank that is over a year old and I overfeed it a good bit. Right now I have too much bio because it's only a 25g tank, but I have 2 baby tangs and some other fish in there temporarily until they get moved into my new 180g tank in a bout a week or so. Just because that tank is over 1 year old, I still would NOT put my RBTA in it. Because it's not a stable tank.

And that's also where the 6 month myth comes in. Take my new 180g tank I just filled/built. I would NOT put my RBTA in it. Because it's going to have a lot of fish and other things in there. It will take some time for it to balance and stabilize.

So in a nutshell, put your RBTA in it when you think the bioload is stable and when you have no plans of changing it's bioload.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back