Anemone loosing color

Jbigtank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to the saltwater thing. So I have my tank up and running for about 2 months it’s a 90 gallon tank with 40 sump I’m running a reef tank with 2 clown fish, shrimp, bi color Angel fish, foxface, blenney, and snails and crabs as clean up crew. So my anemone is brown it use to be green and it’s a bubble tip. Not sure why it has lost color but it’s eating shrimp , I’m using a current orbit ic light 48 inch only one I have ordered a 2 one to go with it, to make sure I have plenty of light to grow.but I was not sure why it is loss it’s color any help would be great. All of my water test are good. I’m using a api master kit

1DCD88C0-1BE5-4776-8539-86E1B5F82DC9.jpeg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is unfortunately too young and not stable enough for a nem yet.
Try to keep paramaters as stable as possible while the tank matures and he might bounce back for you.

OP
OP
J

Jbigtank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But how is it able to grow at the store and look all healthy and then when I get them home they start looking like this? Just confused that’s all

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup wayyyyy too young of a tank to even consider a nem.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so we know the tank is young but let's start with a full list of parameters

If it's lack of light I would imagine it would move up to find the light it wants

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so we know the tank is young but let's start with a full list of parameters

If it's lack of light I would imagine it would move up to find the light it wants
Has nothing to do with parameters. A 2 month tank isnt ready for a nem, period.

Additionally parameters on such a young tank will fluctuate a lot, its not even truly cycled yet. Sit back, research what you want and then when your ready based on the research you've done start stocking.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But how is it able to grow at the store and look all healthy and then when I get them home they start looking like this? Just confused that’s all
Because the store's water has been in their tanks for a long time even though they make adjustments just like we do on ours.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Additionally parameters on such a young tank will fluctuate a lot, its not even truly cycled yet. Sit back, research what you want and then when your ready based on the research you've done start stocking.
That's always the auto response... Tank too young. What is the issue with a young tank? Unstable and fluctuating params correct ? It's also said that sps shouldn't be added to a new tank but plenty of people go straight to sps but you also have to have a good handle on what is going on with your tank on a daily basis.

I get it the tank is young. I don't disagree but the OP is looking for help so let's get him some help.

Like I said params would be a good place to start

No the tank does not have the maturity and biodiversity that would be ideal but if the OP can keep his params stable or potentially identify something out of whack that would definitely help his situation.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And how do you know his tank isn't cycled?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And how do you know his tank isn't cycled?
There are many stages to a completely cycled tank besides just the absence of ammonia and it takes several months. Hence, when a tank becomes somewhat matured.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's always the auto response... Tank too young. What is the issue with a young tank? Unstable and fluctuating params correct ? It's also said that sps shouldn't be added to a new tank but plenty of people go straight to sps but you also have to have a good handle on what is going on with your tank on a daily basis.

I get it the tank is young. I don't disagree but the OP is looking for help so let's get him some help.

Like I said params would be a good place to start

No the tank does not have the maturity and biodiversity that would be ideal but if the OP can keep his params stable or potentially identify something out of whack that would definitely help his situation.
I gave him some help as did another member. Nothing he can do a new hobbyist in a new tank is going to save that nem. If it makes it, it will be the exception not the rule.

Sure others start out with sps immediately ans love to show off,but how often do they when they died? Not many.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave my help. That the problem with noobs these days, you all dont want to read or listen and then get irritated that nobody is helping... Just want instant results and then are surprised by the outcome when it goes totally wrong, lol so with that I'll bow out and can learn by experience.

miamijaaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always get a chuckle from the “tank is not X months old yet for ———-“ responses. As if something magically happens at 6 months or something and thereafter everything one puts inside of it lives. Nonsense, as it doesn’t account for the experience of the aquarist or a litany of other factors that might be the root cause of the problem. An inexperienced aquarist can just as easily kill livestock at 1+ year as an experienced aquarist can get through a cycle and obtain relative stability at less than 6 months or whatever. There is likely a parameter that’s not allowing that nem to flourish that may have nothing to do with the “magical” age of the tank. Isn’t it best to advise and teach on how to correct and maintain proper parameters rather than give the false hope and oversimplified response that the passage of time will correct all ills?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave him some help as did another member. Nothing he can do a new hobbyist in a new tank is going to save that nem. If it makes it, it will be the exception not the rule.

Sure others start out with sps immediately ans love to show off,but how often do they when they died? Not many.
I just started up my new tank in April. 60 SPS frags or so on day 1. The LR was all cycled in a bin in my basement for several weeks as well as some LR added from my main system. I lost 3 frags so far. I think it was more of a placement issue or they just didn’t take to my tank as some of these were newly bought others came from a Nano that’s in my basement.

I do think that nems are a bit more difficult to add to a new tank. It takes months to get a proper balance of bacteria etc. They are much more finicky.

Anyone new or experienced that doesn’t admit to losses is someone not worth listening to. I have made some large costly mistakes myself and I am happy to share with others to try to prevent them from the same heartache.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay folks...Let's all take a breath for a moment. The OP is in fact looking for advise and hopefully the nem can be saved. As we discuss the options, please let's not resort to name calling or categorizing each other. Remember, this is a family friendly, nice community where we try to help each other, whether new or established in the hobby.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back