Anemone question

Nick96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I have an anemone that I thought was dying he was under rock work for 2 days and didnt pop out. I decided to take him out but he looked 100% fine when i removed him
So i placed him in another spot and he's been moving. He's in a hilarious spot but I'm worred because he is under some pulsing xenia. I dont care if the xenia die i have a million in my tank but i don't want to move him again if possible. I posted a pic let me know if I should move or leave him.

20220513_173951.jpg

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since they are living things it will attempt to find the most preferrable spot and then should stop moving from there.

I would let it do it's thing and not touch it unless it is in a powerhead.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you move it??

I can't even tell in that picture. What parts are the whole nem.

I would agree with the above advice to stop moving it. It's going to go where it finds what it needs.

OP
OP
N

Nick96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was half-connected to a rock under the rock work so i just took him of the rock really carefully and he was fine. Then i just placed him near the same area and he is now there. Ill leave him then.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Never move a nem. They move for several reasons.
Anemones prefer warmer temperatures. Water should be on the alkali side as well. Monitor water conditions regularly to avoid any major changes. Ammonia and nitrate levels should be undetectable at all times using a good quakity test kit and Not API either.
Here are some water parameters to follow.
  • Water temperature: 77°F - 80°F (stay close to the middle of this range)
  • pH level: 8.1 to 8.3
  • Water hardness: 8 to 11 dKH
  • Specific gravity: 1.024 to 1.025
  • Nitrate < .5
  • Phosphate < .04 - .06
When you first introduce the anemone to the tank, turn down any pumps. The flow should be minimal until the anemone gets settled in. Chances are, your new Bubble Tip Anemone will move around the tank until it finds a suitable spot to call home.
If it starts to move towards any coral, simply direct your water jets to the coral. This will discourage the anemone from anchoring near it. It will move to another area to attach.
Anemone lighting is a very important aspect of their care. They need a lot of light to thrive because they’re photosynthetic which means that they absorb light to produce food and growth. The anemone has zooxanthellae in its body, which are symbiotic microorganisms that they feed on. Without proper lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae and turn white. This process is called bleaching and often leads to death.
A moderate amount of flow is recommended. Many aquarists soon find out that too much flow will cause the anemone to stretch out and look stringy. Keeping things moderate will help avoid this from happening. Avoid directing your flow directly at the anemone. These creatures enjoy subtle movement at all times but too much direct flow hitting the anemone will force it to move.
Lastly- Feeding.
Anemone feeding is one of the easiest parts of their care. They get food from a lot of different sources. They are photosynthetic and use light to create food. They will also eat food off of the fish they host. These anemones enjoy small morsels of shrimp and squid. They will also accept many frozen foods. To feed the anemone, attach the food to a stick or large tweezers. Then, touch the anemone with it. The creature will use its tentacles to grab onto the food and consume it. Feedings twice per week is sufficient

OP
OP
N

Nick96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never move a nem. They move for several reasons.
Anemones prefer warmer temperatures. Water should be on the alkali side as well. Monitor water conditions regularly to avoid any major changes. Ammonia and nitrate levels should be undetectable at all times using a good quakity test kit and Not API either.
Here are some water parameters to follow.
  • Water temperature: 77°F - 80°F (stay close to the middle of this range)
  • pH level: 8.1 to 8.3
  • Water hardness: 8 to 11 dKH
  • Specific gravity: 1.024 to 1.025
  • Nitrate < .5
  • Phosphate < .04 - .06
When you first introduce the anemone to the tank, turn down any pumps. The flow should be minimal until the anemone gets settled in. Chances are, your new Bubble Tip Anemone will move around the tank until it finds a suitable spot to call home.
If it starts to move towards any coral, simply direct your water jets to the coral. This will discourage the anemone from anchoring near it. It will move to another area to attach.
Anemone lighting is a very important aspect of their care. They need a lot of light to thrive because they’re photosynthetic which means that they absorb light to produce food and growth. The anemone has zooxanthellae in its body, which are symbiotic microorganisms that they feed on. Without proper lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae and turn white. This process is called bleaching and often leads to death.
A moderate amount of flow is recommended. Many aquarists soon find out that too much flow will cause the anemone to stretch out and look stringy. Keeping things moderate will help avoid this from happening. Avoid directing your flow directly at the anemone. These creatures enjoy subtle movement at all times but too much direct flow hitting the anemone will force it to move.
Lastly- Feeding.
Anemone feeding is one of the easiest parts of their care. They get food from a lot of different sources. They are photosynthetic and use light to create food. They will also eat food off of the fish they host. These anemones enjoy small morsels of shrimp and squid. They will also accept many frozen foods. To feed the anemone, attach the food to a stick or large tweezers. Then, touch the anemone with it. The creature will use its tentacles to grab onto the food and consume it. Feedings twice per week is sufficient
Thank you for the info! So I moved because, honestly, I thought he was dead. He was under a rock with barely any light and shriveled. I moved him outside the cave and he seems better but i moved him because I thought he died. Do you think based on the pics I leave him and see how he does? Also, been feeding him 1-2 a week some mysis shrimp

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info! So I moved because, honestly, I thought he was dead. He was under a rock with barely any light and shriveled. I moved him outside the cave and he seems better but i moved him because I thought he died. Do you think based on the pics I leave him and see how he does? Also, been feeding him 1-2 a week some mysis shrimp
I'd stop feeding until it looks better.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yes leave it and assure you are providing proper lighting and water flow. Anemone will do the rest

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted better pics
That anenome does not look super healthy to me.

It was probably in the shade as refuge and I'd expect it to seek refuge again.

Stop feeding it. That's an unneeded level of stress at this point. Ensure you are up on water quality and keep an eye on it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Where do you keep your nems? I've found many including myself find they express much better at 76°
Both of mine are mid tank in path of moderate water flow and split often

OP
OP
N

Nick96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That anenome does not look super healthy to me.

It was probably in the shade as refuge and I'd expect it to seek refuge again.

Stop feeding it. That's an unneeded level of stress at this point. Ensure you are up on water quality and keep an eye on it.
He's definitely stressed from me moving it. I just did a water change yesterday and the parameters all look good. Do you think that I should leave him?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with most of what others have said above. I do disagree about nitrate levels. Anemones actually love higher nitrates and will thrive with nitrates as high as at least 120. Nitrates are a food source for anemones. It is what many anemone farmers feed them. Granted many other corals may not be happy at those levels. I recommend nitrates between 5 and 20. Most other corals will do fine in that range.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with most of what others have said above. I do disagree about nitrate levels. Anemones actually love higher nitrates and will thrive with nitrates as high as at least 120. Nitrates are a food source for anemones. It is what many anemone farmers feed them. Granted many other corals may not be happy at those levels. I recommend nitrates between 5 and 20. Most other corals will do fine in that range.
This is true. From what I have found is that they like around 20-25 no3, po4 around .1 and around 74 degrees is the perfect temp. My 7’ nem tank sits right around those number. I have mags split, bta are as bad as aiptasia, haddoni spawn 3-4 times a year and the gigs do the same as the haddoni.

@Nick96 you just need to leave nem alone, watch for gaping mouth and it spitting it’s guts out. If that happens then come back and let us know. I agree that there is no need to feed it. They do fine without food and if not well, it will make them worse.

OP
OP
N

Nick96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is true. From what I have found is that they like around 20-25 no3, po4 around .1 and around 74 degrees is the perfect temp. My 7’ nem tank sits right around those number. I have mags split, bta are as bad as aiptasia, haddoni spawn 3-4 times a year and the gigs do the same as the haddoni.

@Nick96 you just need to leave nem alone, watch for gaping mouth and it spitting it’s guts out. If that happens then come back and let us know. I agree that there is no need to feed it. They do fine without food and if not well, it will make them worse.
Do you guys think I should just remove him? Not sure if he will move from here

Attachments

• 20220514_140727.jpg
    20220514_140727.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 26

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 103 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.2%
Back