Anemone sad after chemiclean

Bryson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I recently dosed Chemiclean to directions to get rid of cyano. Before dosing the anemones were happier than ever. I have three separate ones that came from one single one that split twice when it got big. After running Chemiclean for 2 days, doing a water change, and running carbon and my skimmer again, two of the anemones have looked deflated and shrunken up. One of them is doing better than ever. It’s been 10 days since the end of Chemiclean and they have been looking bad ever since. What could be wrong with these two anemones? Does anything jump out about the appearance? Also to note, the two deflated ones have a clearish white mucus wrapped around the tips of the tentacles. Thank you for your help!
IMG_0863.jpeg
IMG_0860.jpeg
IMG_0862.jpeg
IMG_0859.jpeg

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I recently dosed Chemiclean to directions to get rid of cyano. Before dosing the anemones were happier than ever. I have three separate ones that came from one single one that split twice when it got big. After running Chemiclean for 2 days, doing a water change, and running carbon and my skimmer again, two of the anemones have looked deflated and shrunken up. One of them is doing better than ever. It’s been 10 days since the end of Chemiclean and they have been looking bad ever since. What could be wrong with these two anemones? Does anything jump out about the appearance? Also to note, the two deflated ones have a clearish white mucus wrapped around the tips of the tentacles. Thank you for your help!
IMG_0863.jpeg
IMG_0860.jpeg
IMG_0862.jpeg
IMG_0859.jpeg
#reefsquad water change??

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the chemiclean effective for the cyano problem? How much cyano was there?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes water change 2 days after Chemiclean and two more 20% water changes since then.
did you ensure the new water matched the parameters of the old water? you could have inadvertently lowered or raised a parameter causing the nems to be upset, although from the pictures neither seem to be looking bad.

OP
OP
B

Bryson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you ensure the new water matched the parameters of the old water? you could have inadvertently lowered or raised a parameter causing the nems to be upset, although from the pictures neither seem to be looking bad.
Salinity and temp and ph matched every time. Nitrate was high around 20 in my tank before Chemiclean and around 5 now. They don’t look horrible but not near how good they looked before dosing.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Salinity and temp and ph matched every time. Nitrate was high around 20 in my tank before Chemiclean and around 5 now. They don’t look horrible but not near how good they looked before dosing.
do you check for other parameters too? like ALK/CAL/MAG, etc? a big swing can lead to bothered corals.

again, i personally don't see anything wrong with the BTA's. if they were very shriveled for a prolonged period of time (more than a day) then i would be concerned.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somthings you dose in your tank can upset the nems also nems like plenty of nutrance in the water. Changing anything in your tank flow lighting water chemistry they sulk

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see anything from the pics to be concerned about. Mine also weren't a fan so I haven't used it since. They all bounced back just fine.

OP
OP
B

Bryson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for help everyone. I am a lot less worried about them now. I’ll wait them out and see if they perk up. I appreciate the help!

OP
OP
B

Bryson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you check for other parameters too? like ALK/CAL/MAG, etc? a big swing can lead to bothered corals.

again, i personally don't see anything wrong with the BTA's. if they were very shriveled for a prolonged period of time (more than a day) then i would be concerned.
I don’t test for those but don’t dose for any of those as well. Maybe they swung with all the water changes and Chemiclean? They were shriveled for two days straight after and looked terrible but have been looking a little better every day since then

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t test for those but don’t dose for any of those as well. Maybe they swung with all the water changes and Chemiclean? They were shriveled for two days straight after and looked terrible but have been looking a little better every day since then
Testing is definitely necessary however nems can survive a wide range of parameters

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thank you for help everyone. I am a lot less worried about them now. I’ll wait them out and see if they perk up. I appreciate the help!
they’re usually very resilient given stable water. so if you believe yours are struggling that’s usually always the case.

as context, my colorado sunburst anemone got caught in my nero3 wave pump (WITH an anemone guard) about 4-6 times. the most recent time i thought it was dead. came back and regrew its tentacles within a few weeks. now it roams my tank looking for another spot to likely try and kill itself :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :grinning-face-with-sweat: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back