Anemone salinity levels and lighting needs

Bhor217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Am learning more about anemones as I am interested in adding one to my FOWLR tank, but I keep it at 1.022 salinity, and was wondering if anemones will be comfortable/able to thrive at that salinity level.

If I were to add one, my idea would be to put it on a high rock shelf so it could get the most exposure to light and flow, but is it silly to try to plan something around where I “hope” they settle, since they clearly will choose where they want. I worry if they settle lower, my lights and flow will not be adequate.

Still in very early research stage, appreciate the help. Thanks.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.022 would be a bit below optimal levels, but as long as the salinity level is stable, the nem would be fine. As for positioning, it wouldn't settle lower if your lights and flow were inadequate there. It will move to where it has sufficient light and flow. The main concern is that it might end up in a spot you can't even see it.

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine at 1.026, much below that and they are not as "happy"/full. Would consider 1.022 absolutely too low. Most inverts are encouraged to be kept at at least 1.025 SG (NSW)

Jimmy Long

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have over 20 Rock flowers, about 7 BTA and 2 long tentacles and I keep my salinity on the higher side, .026-.027 and all my nems love it. I use tropic marin salt.

Phil85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.022 is a bit low but probably okay if you keep things stable. This pertains to hardier species like a bubbletip. If you're looking at a carpet or sebae - NEEDS to be at NSW levels.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back