anemone shrunk

Reefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased an anemone yesterday...long tentacle. acclimated it for an hour or so. Then a storm came through and knocked out my power for 9 hours. ran to the store and got backup battery to help ervyone stay alive. Battery only lasted 4 hours. Used tank water to pour in and create oxygen. Today it looked fine and tentacles were out and i fed it raw shrimp. Now its all small and tentacles are super short? What is going on with it? Not sure what to do here. Its my first anemone.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else is in the tank? Any chance that something else died during the outage and is producing Ammonia. Some water parameters would be helpful.

Adam Schindler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They inflate and deflate periodically as well. Like Robby said, water parameters are helpful in these situations. What do you test with? What kind of lights, flow, etc? Good luck!!

OP
OP
Reefer87

Reefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else is in the tank? Any chance that something else died during the outage and is producing Ammonia. Some water parameters would be helpful.

Levels are good,
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate .1
PH 8.1
alk 8
calcium 400
temp 80F
Salinity 1.025

first picture is my anemone now.
second is about 3 hours ago.
hasnt attached yet but ate and seemed ok. now its short and puffy.
I have some zoas and a tiny frogspawn on the opposite side of tank. nothing died that i know of.

IMG_3536.jpg IMG_3535.jpg

OP
OP
Reefer87

Reefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They inflate and deflate periodically as well. Like Robby said, water parameters are helpful in these situations. What do you test with? What kind of lights, flow, etc? Good luck!!

LED lights with both blue and white.
i test with API reef and saltwater test kits and a salinity meter. good flow. he got sucked into my power head last night and i had to save him. then i put a media bag over my power head to prevent that happening again.

OP
OP
Reefer87

Reefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like it is trying to climb my wall of the tank. its moved a smidge since i took that picture ten mintes ago and his foot seems to be trying to touch the glass. could it be moving? and maybe just trying to find a different spot? and maybe its just smooshed and just looks shorter? I dunno trying to figure him/it out lol. like i said its my first nem

Adam Schindler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks ok to me. They definitely walk around if unhappy where they are. You can try to pick him up and get settled on a new rock. See if the foot reattaches.

Alanna102499

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. I’ve found anemones to very odd. This morning I woke up overnight and checked the tank... My Pink BTA was in the upper corner foot locked stretched down the tank about 6”! Just hanging there... I was sure it would be dead this am... Woke up and and like nothing ever happened. Normal plump swaying in the current.

OP
OP
Reefer87

Reefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks ok to me. They definitely walk around if unhappy where they are. You can try to pick him up and get settled on a new rock. See if the foot reattaches.

I tried that yesterday but he wanted to float around. He’s on my power head right now. I checked my mesh and he’s safe so it’s working good at protecting him from getting sliced. Maybe in the morning he will be in a different spot...hopefully.

OP
OP
Reefer87

Reefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this morning he is still on my power head. He’s fine and not being sucked in coz I have mesh on it. But will he move? I don’t want to keep touching him!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back