SOLVED: How to get anemone off rock

amafregia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently purchased Condy anemone from LFS and had to purchase the rock it was on because it would not release from the rock in store. He hung out in the QT tank for about 4 days. We DID NOT want the rock in our DT. Didn't want to risk any hitchhikers making their way into our tank.

Tried to force him off the rock while in QT tank using a power head pointed at the foot, did not work.

Next, we tried to hold the rock upside down, dip nem in and out the water... he stretched longer than I ever would have imagined. We actually (accidentally) kept him upside down for like 2+ hours. At this point we were getting concerned with him being out of water for so long (again, not on purpose) and we were really considering just putting the rock in the DT.

Then we tried the ice cube in a ziplock bag on the foot (while upside down) and still no movement. He was quite stubborn!

Tried using a small plastic tool to "tickle" his foot... again he was not budging.

WHAT FINALLY WORKED:
Holding rock upside down, used small plastic tool to get slightly under foot, then used a pipette with ice cold water to drip under his foot, and continued to move it further and further under the foot while dripping ice cold water. And at last he released!

At that point he was MAD. Very shriveled up tight together. We placed him on a rock and his tentacles were looking like flat balloon animal balloons. I was scared we had stressed him to death. But, within like 15-20 min he had long full tentacles and looked amazing. You live, you learn. Next time I need a nem off a rock, Ima hold him upside down, get under his foot, and pipette ice cold water until he drops.

Hope this helps someone out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back