Anemone splitting - why?

Dave Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do some bubble tip anemones split when fairly small and why do some get huge? Is there anything I can control in this process or are the anemones going to split when they want no matter what I do?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are going to split whenever they want to, nothing you can do to stop it
As for why they split could be many reasons

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do some bubble tip anemones split when fairly small and why do some get huge? Is there anything I can control in this process or are the anemones going to split when they want no matter what I do?
I have wondered the same. I remember last century, lol, you would get a bubble Nem that had 10+" stretch from the foot. I have not seen one like that in a long time.
Its one way they reproduce.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general rainbow bubble tips stay fairly small compared to a rose BTA. As for why they split, it’s generally either a parameter swing (it is after all a survival strategy, split in half so there’s a better chance of one surviving), or because they have enough nutrition to split on top of putting resources into sexual reproduction. Salinity and temp instability, especially if you feed often, will usually induce a split.

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for why they split, it’s generally either a parameter swing (it is after all a survival strategy, split in half so there’s a better chance of one surviving), or because they have enough nutrition to split on top of putting resources into sexual reproduction. Salinity and temp instability, especially if you feed often, will usually induce a split.
This jives exactly with my experience as well. I purposely do not feed them directly anymore, nor do I perform massive water changes, if I can help it.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me tank maturity seems to have made a difference. When my tank was younger I started with 3 and ended up with almost 50. It was nuts I had 5ft of rocks covered in nems. Now that the tank is older I haven't had a split in a few years.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one knows in the hobby as far as I am aware. I can check on Google scholar later to see what I find

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back