Anemone too large for my tank

A.bel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anemone has been growing rapidly and it has a thing for my powerheads. It takes way too much room in my tank and I can't have corals near it because it stings everything. I was even thinking about giving it away to someone with a bigger tank. Do anemones eventually split? if so, is there anything I can do to help that process?

tempImage9GYfA6.png

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Lfs has a black widow that was probably around 18” it was a monster. It never split for years until recently. Even after it split it’s still huge. You could try cutting it with a razor blade like the folks with the sunburst bubble tips do

OP
OP
A.bel

A.bel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Lfs has a black widow that was probably around 18” it was a monster. It never split for years until recently. Even after it split it’s still huge. You could try cutting it with a razor blade like the folks with the sunburst bubble tips do
Interesting. I guess someone anemones are just happy being big and fluffy. I thought about cutting it too but I don’t want to hurt it.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anemone has been growing rapidly and it has a thing for my powerheads. It takes way too much room in my tank and I can't have corals near it because it stings everything. I was even thinking about giving it away to someone with a bigger tank. Do anemones eventually split? if so, is there anything I can do to help that process?

tempImage9GYfA6.png
Looks like you need to upgrade tanks

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Usually bubbles will split after introducing a stressor when they’re that big. Like change in temp or salinity but that can be dangerous if there’s other stuff in the tank. You can try putting a rubber band around him and Tying it tight over his mouth so it almost splits him in half tighter the better. This could also force a split and can be a little better then cutting :)

OP
OP
A.bel

A.bel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually bubbles will split after introducing a stressor when they’re that big. Like change in temp or salinity but that can be dangerous if there’s other stuff in the tank. You can try putting a rubber band around him and Tying it tight over his mouth so it almost splits him in half tighter the better. This could also force a split and can be a little better then cutting :)
Thanks. I’ll try to put a rubber band around him.

JonezNReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do try this please document how it goes. Interested in seeing the outcome.

Junk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had this problem. I have so many small ones in my tank. Before the Sandy storm I had one that was huge in my tank and we all loved it. I should drive down lol

OP
OP
A.bel

A.bel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had this problem. I have so many small ones in my tank. Before the Sandy storm I had one that was huge in my tank and we all loved it. I should drive down lol
I'm still on the fence about cutting it but if you come down to northern Virginia it'll be yours lol

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rose BTA gets huge too. 24 inch wide tank and it is shoved into a corner and can still touch the back of the tank. It finally split but it’s working on getting just as big again.

OP
OP
A.bel

A.bel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rose BTA gets huge too. 24 inch wide tank and it is shoved into a corner and can still touch the back of the tank. It finally split but it’s working on getting just as big again.
That’s wild. I don’t mind the size of mine. It’s the fact that it moves every once in awhile that I don’t like.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s wild. I don’t mind the size of mine. It’s the fact that it moves every once in awhile that I don’t like.

mine moves a little. Just enough to take out an expensive coral sometimes lol move an inch or two then reeeaaach for that Oregon Tort

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back