Anemone??

tmercer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to start adding anemones to my 150cube. I have tried two so far with no luck. They shrivel up and go away. Yes, I do feed them. How can I get started having big beautiful anemones that actually thrive and split? Thanks in advance to any and all advice.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience they just need to kind of be left alone let them find a spot that they like that they don't move from then try to feed them I put bubble tip anemones n a just cycled tanks they seem to do pretty well lots of times they end up splitting due to stress one thing to know about this though is once they split for the first time they don't stop they just keep splitting over and over again until you're over ran with anemones

OP
OP
T

tmercer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a lot more details. How old is the tank, what lights are you using, parameters?
This tank is a little over a year old. Seen Its share of problems. 150 cube. 32inches deep with Coralife 48inch led fixture.

OP
OP
T

tmercer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience they just need to kind of be left alone let them find a spot that they like that they don't move from then try to feed them I put bubble tip anemones n a just cycled tanks they seem to do pretty well lots of times they end up splitting due to stress one thing to know about this though is once they split for the first time they don't stop they just keep splitting over and over again until you're over ran with anemones
Having a hard time finding anemones to buy. No one in Indianapolis seems to sell them. I am not hooked up on local groups to buy and sell??

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is a little over a year old. Seen Its share of problems. 150 cube. 32inches deep with Coralife 48inch led fixture.
Yeah sorry about that I just say that there's got to be something there that isn't being pinpointed or thought about this causing the problem I've had several anemones and they're pretty good with they're toleration with water parameters and Lighting

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a hard time finding anemones to buy. No one in Indianapolis seems to sell them. I am not hooked up on local groups to buy and sell??
You can try Live Aquaria on the internet top shelf Aquatics reefs4less aquaSD lots of places online for vendors to buy 1

mwil79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Try the forums on here and see if you can find someone local that is selling any. I agree with Pistol Pete (not only because he has the same name as my Pistol Shrimp) once they get in your tank let them be for a while. Maybe even a month. Mine sat in a cave in complete darkness for about 5 days before he decided to come out and move to his spot and he's been there ever since.

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try the forums on here and see if you can find someone local that is selling any. I agree with Pistol Pete (not only because he has the same name as my Pistol Shrimp) once they get in your tank let them be for a while. Maybe even a month. Mine sat in a cave in complete darkness for about 5 days before he decided to come out and move to his spot and he's been there ever since.
Lol who came first me or the shrimp

mwil79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also once they find their spot don't adjust the lighting or flow as that will usually make them move. Just remember they will do whatever the hell they want. You may want them in a certain spot, but Nems going to do what Nems wants to do.

Jseimo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t feed them. When I’ve fed nems they spend to much time digesting and die. They are photosynthetic and don’t need food. Just a little coral food when I feed the tank and they thrive

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL you definitely came first he's only been in my tank about a month but dang does he move a lot of sand. My sand bed has never looked cleaner. Although it looks like rolling hills.
Sounds like quite the character I hope he's with you for a long long time

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't feed them until they are well established inside the tank and thriving. You do not have to feed them at all ever, it just makes them grow a little faster.

And if you do feed, make it very small amounts. Don't give it large chunks of something even after it starts thriving.

Make sure you acclimate them well. Then put them in the tank and then leave them alone.

If that's not working for you, then it's likely your water, lights, or flow.

Also, people mention tank age, but I think that's a lousy way of going about it. I have a RBTA that is about 12 inches across when it stretches during the day. I put him in a 29g tank that was only 2 weeks old with dry rock. It did fine and has never once showed any issues over the past 11 months. Because it's not about tank age, it's about stability.

Meanwhile I have a 25g cube and reef that is nearly 2 years old. I would NOT put the RBTA in that tank because even though it is older, I wouldn't exactly call it stable. I keep it well stocked and I feed it well. Sometimes too well. So I from time to time get small bouts of cyano etc. The cyano typically goes away on it's own, it's very mild, but it shows that the tank isn't exactly stable even though it's much much older.

And yet, I've never once had a single bit of the "uglies" in my 29g anemone tank. No cyano ever. Because it's a tank that is dedicated to the anemone and the 2 clowns in it. It's very lightly feed, thus is has remained stable the entire time. Very little bioload.

Currently I'm in the process of building a 180g tank. Would I put my anemone in that tank right off? No. Because I plan on having many fish, many other coral etc. So this tank is going to take some time to stablize it's biologicals. If I was only going to do the anemone with a way low bioload, then I might consider it(except I have no plans on ever putting it or any other anemone in there).

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back