Anenome and brown hair algae

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add a rock flower anemone and a maxi mini carpet, but have been dealing with a brown hair algae outbreak for about a month. It seems to be slowing down and looks to be thinning out on the rocks. Just wondering if the Algae would stress/ cause harm to the anemone's if added. Thanks

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a bit young, but if you feel you can maintain stability fairly well, I think you could try your hand at an RFA. Take it slow, and be careful, but I hope you find success!

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a bit young, but if you feel you can maintain stability fairly well, I think you could try your hand at an RFA. Take it slow, and be careful, but I hope you find success!
The tank is definitely stable, had a pod population but I think it died down. More worried about what the Hair algae will do to the anemones, if anything at all. Any insight?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although Rock anemones and Mini maxis are hardy, I would be less worried about the algae itself, and more the cause, which could point to instability in one or more parameters. I would definitely make sure everything is stable before corals or anemones.

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although Rock anemones and Mini maxis are hardy, I would be less worried about the algae itself, and more the cause, which could point to instability in one or more parameters. I would definitely make sure everything is stable before corals or anemones.
ok sounds good, i did make the mistake of buying corals before the hair algae outbreak, and I've lost 2 out of the 4 frags that I bought because they were overrun. I have an acan that is doing ok since i bought it, just slow growth, most likely from the hair algae bothering it. Anything I should test for to show if i can have a nem?

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also what numbers should i be aiming for/ what is acceptable

Mmonk005

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have it choking out some of my corals. Hitting the zoas hard. Is it okay to hit it with a toothbrush to loosen it off? I’m assuming my phosphates are high? I added a blue light to help coral growth and that’s when the algae started to take off. Last 2 weeks it gets worse and worse.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back