Angels and reef

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think is the most reef safe angel? Preferably Pygmy. Need something to eat some invasive sponges.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the pigmys are not great sponge eaters, and in general even the most voracious sponge hunters rarely manage the invasive sponges you want. I have a venusta, who are notorious spongavores, and it won’t eat most invasive sponges, only the purple and grey, Not black or yellow. You can’t expect an angel, especially a xiphypop, to control sponge populations.

All the Xiphypops are of about equally reef safe. Which is largely down to the individual angel, some go wild on coral buffet and some are perfect citizens their whole life. It may come to, with any angel or benthic feeder: do I care more about this fish or this/these corals.

OP
OP
joseserrano

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the pigmys are not great sponge eaters, and in general even the most voracious sponge hunters rarely manage the invasive sponges you want. I have a venusta, who are notorious spongavores, and it won’t eat most invasive sponges, only the purple and grey, Not black or yellow. You can’t expect an angel, especially a xiphypop, to control sponge populations.

All the Xiphypops are of about equally reef safe. Which is largely down to the individual angel, some go wild on coral buffet and some are perfect citizens their whole life. It may come to, with any angel or benthic feeder: do I care more about this fish or this/these corals.
Thank you for he info.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back