Angels in Reef’s

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a captive bred Singapore Angel that I got from Poma Labs. They weren't even sure how a captive bred fish would react in a reef tank. He picked at the acan killing some heads but seems to have gotten bored with it and leaves it alone now. I see him occasionally peck at SPS but doesn't seem to do any damage. As long at he leaves my other LPS alone he can stay.

IMG_1338.JPG

Love the Singapore Angel, I was on the fence between it and my coral beauty but given the fact that I had a 90 gallon tank (4 feet long) I figured that the coral beauty would be much happier long term than the Singapore and more people have had success with coral beauties not nipping at their corals.

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Singapore Angel, I was on the fence between it and my coral beauty but given the fact that I had a 90 gallon tank (4 feet long) I figured that the coral beauty would be much happier long term than the Singapore and more people have had success with coral beauties not nipping at their corals.
This Singapore came out of the first batch of Poma Labs' captive bred angels so they really weren't sure how he was going to react to live coral. After he hit the acans he's pretty much left it alone. I haven't noticed him targeting anything else.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i guess you never know with any fish! i was dealing with many lps deaths and last night noticed my wrasse picking at acans! no wonder all my acans look like crap!i feed fish 2 a day with mixed food. that wrasse is always hungry....

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a bandit, interuptus and gold flake that for the most part leave the corals (sps, clams, torches) alone. They may nip every now and then but haven't killed anything yet. Like someone said.....risk vs reward.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a captive bred Singapore Angel that I got from Poma Labs. They weren't even sure how a captive bred fish would react in a reef tank. He picked at the acan killing some heads but seems to have gotten bored with it and leaves it alone now. I see him occasionally peck at SPS but doesn't seem to do any damage. As long at he leaves my other LPS alone he can stay.

IMG_1338.JPG
I picked one of these guys up from Poma as well. Great fish but mine is not reef safe. I put him into a mixed SPS/LPS tank. He would eat any and every coral....literally everything. Stylocoeniella, Acros and Acans were his favorite. Only thing he didn't touch was my chalices which is odd. Beautiful fish and glad he is captive bred but he will be going into a fish only system.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several Angels here is the run down.
Emperor Angel- only picks Acro tips.
Regal Angel- picks occasionally but doesn't eat coral
Goldflake Angel- Only eats the underside of Euphyllia tissue.
Majestic Angel Captive Bred- picks occasionally but doesn't eat coral
Coral beauty Captive Bred- picks occasionally but doesn't eat coral
Singapore Angel Captive bred- Eats any and every coral except for chalices.
Interruptus Angel- picks occasionally but doesn't eat coral

With any angel it is 50/50. You never know until you try.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Singapore came out of the first batch of Poma Labs' captive bred angels so they really weren't sure how he was going to react to live coral. After he hit the acans he's pretty much left it alone. I haven't noticed him targeting anything else.

A captive bred one? VERY NICE. I will keep them in mind in the future.

TheBackAndForth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just love this captive breeding. Reefing is the intersection of art and science, and to pull more science is always exciting. I can't wait to see some of these fish hit the sustainable market

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love all my angels,pair of flames pair of flame backs pair of potters and a regal.they pic but never noticed any damage.could be the reason my acans never have looked very good however.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Xenia is gone from my tank. This was the same Red Sea Xenia I had since 1997 :(. I have to go around and see if I can get the same strain back. It is rare for me to have the same animal for 21 years.
I am not sure if it was my Regal or my Flame angels that do them in. This is the only coral that got bother my by angels. I keep SPS, Clams, Fungi plate coral, Goniopora, Euphillia and anemones.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my baby blueline angel from Poma Labs. I have two of them and only the larger one has a taste for button corals. I have a clam some LPS, SPS, softy’s and mushrooms in their tank all of them seem safe for now. Time will tell if there is a difference between Tank raised or wild caught fish and their hunger for corals. Matt from Poma has some great fish and worth every penny or should I say every dollar.

0726A1BD-5E3B-4C8E-AD5D-09ACA1BF56BF.png

TheBackAndForth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my baby blueline angel from Poma Labs. I have two of them and only the larger one has a taste for button corals. I have a clam some LPS, SPS, softy’s and mushrooms in their tank all of them seem safe for now. Time will tell if there is a difference between Tank raised or wild caught fish and their hunger for corals. Matt from Poma has some great fish and worth every penny or should I say every dollar.

0726A1BD-5E3B-4C8E-AD5D-09ACA1BF56BF.png

Beauty. Can I ask what his most reef safe species would be? They all seem very similar to me

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, Bellus and Swallowtails are two angels with great track records for not touching corals. Most others have been a roll of the dice for me. Poma Labs is working with many species so I would call them for availability.

Eastlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've, for the most part, had good luck with angels in my reefs. The exceptions are a juvenile emperor that slurped up tree coral like spaghetti and were it not for the acclimation box it would have also destroyed a squamosa clam. Seriously, I could see it trying to figure the box out to get in and eat the clam as it circled slowly. And the flame angel I have now samples almost everything in the aquarium except for zoas and mushrooms. Everything else is fair game SPS, LPS, and softies included. But, those are the only two that have ever exhibited that behavior in my aquariums.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back