Angle in a mixed reef tank

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i know a few of you do it but what is it luck getting one that doesnt eat sps,zoos ad lps? i see that there is a few i would like one being a lemon peel, bt dnt wany to buy one and it start eating my coral. Would any one have any info on this subject?

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont have any experience but found this from advanced aquarist online magazine...

"The Genicanthus angelfish are as close to reef-safe as it gets. They are all mid-water planktivores and rarely pick at benthic invertebrates. I’ve kept G. bellus, G. melanospilos, G. watanabei, and G. semifasciatus. I’ve had G. bellus for many years and it’s my favorite in this genus. Not only has it proven to be completely reef-safe, it is a tough fish that does very well in captivity. Similar to all the Genicanthus angels, it must be fed multiple times per day in order to thrive. In this requirement, they’re similar to Anthias. I have to relate that I did have a bad experience with a pair of G. watanabei angels in my old 120 gallon reef aquarium. Both fish started picking at Acropora corals and had to be removed. I wouldn’t take a chance with the species again, but I know other reef aquarists keeping them without a problem."

here is the link to the article..
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2003/Fish.htm

bigsittingrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you said it is luck. I had a coral beauty that did great for over 3 years then turned on me. I will never own another. I was able to catch it within a couple hours so I would not say to never try, as they are a beautiful species and you may have good luck with them.

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they onl pick and monti's and acros? im kind of more scared if it went after my highend zoos and lps

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no guarantees when it comes to angels in a mixed reef. But you can better your odds if you have the ability to keep them well fed and happy. I've had a regal angel now for over 2 years now. He loves scolymias and acans. (Found out the hard way). But leaves all my other lps and zoo's alone.
My other angels are Bellus, Watanabie, Japanese swallowtail and Joculator.
The genicanthus angels never touch anything and the jury is still out on my joculator.

My newest fish to the family, My Joculator.

005-8.jpg

My Swallowtail

August142009008.jpg

My Bellus

007-9.jpg

My Watanabie

008-5.jpg

My Regal

004-11.jpg

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you see, i want a joculater and want to put him in m 50g, but i dont want to spend 600 on a fish then be like ut-oh he is eating what do i do with him

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with all fish there are no gaurantees. Personally I've had great success keeping angels with coral, as Bradley mentioned keep them well fed, with plenty of "things to do" (tankmates help).

I've had tangs destroy and eat coral, chromis kill SPS, anthias pick at coral; All fish are semi reef safe.

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have SPS, the jocs will nip sooner or later. I also see both of mine hit the favias and chalices once and awhile. They are rock grazers and will hit whats in front of them.

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also had good luck with a Bellus in a mixed reef.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back